Big RES harassing little RES

Discussions about turtles.
noadee
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 RES in a 30 gallon tank- Willis is about 3 inches across his back and Tiny is a mere 1 inch. I had them seperated for a couple of months and just recently put them together. They coexist pretty well, but sometimes Willis swims at Tiny with his front claws outstretched, he shakes his legs in a strange fervor and follows Tiny around right up on his back. This leg shaking thing is strange and I\'ve never seen him do it before. Does anyone have an idea what this behavior indicates? I am a little worried that Willis might scratch Tiny. Willis is generally nice, he lives with a bunch of fish and snails but has been known to kill tadpoles. Any thoughts?
Devil turtle
Level 1
Level 1

Get that tiny one out of there your bigger one will kill him. you must sepurate them untill tiny gets bigger. Good luck i have not hade good luck with res.. for the weird behave your he is tring to mate with tiny.
noadee
Level 1
Level 1

thanks for your advice. Now it\'s been about 4 days and they seem to be getting along. they float around and swim together, so I think I\'m going to wait it out. Do you think there could be a sudden change of events? If Willis was going act aggressively are there signs of his unhappiness? or is it intinct for him to try to kill something smaller than him?
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

I just recently recieved a baby RES I already have an 5 inch RES, when I but them together Marty (my larger RES) snapped at my baby. I had to buy a tank divider (fairly cheap) so Marty wouldnt hurt Phil this also gives them a chance to get use to one another. If I were you, to be on the safe side, I would purchase a tank divider just incase.
noadee
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the advice, its funny because that is exactly how I did it- they were already in the tank together for a month with a divider seperating them. Its been over a week now that Tiny and Willis are sharing the tank. They are still getting along just fine. They pose nose to nose and swim around together and other irresesistably cute acts of turtle friendship. I hope! I keep an eye on them though, because Willis can be a little unpredictable- he lived with 2 tadpoles for 6 weeks and pretty much ignored them- then one day he decided to take them both out.....
  • Information