Not eating

Discussions about turtles.
pamoch1
Level 1
Level 1

We just purchased a red ear slider from a flea market about 3 weeks ago. He\'s about the size of a silver dollar. The salesman there sold us this round plastic thing with these little stairs/platform area in the middle. I soon figured out this was bacially worthless after reading all the wonderful material I\'ve found on this site. Anyway, a couple of days ago, we bought an aquarium and submersible heater. We fixed a place for sunning and also included a floating island. He seems to like it a lot more because he has more room and he can actually swim.

My concern is that he\'s not eating. We are feeding him the floating pellets and he hasn\'t even so much as sniffed it that I can tell. It\'s very frustrating. I thought it was because the water was too cold but now it\'s heated properly and he\'s still not eating. What can we do? Are they picky eaters and so maybe he just doesn\'t like these things? Also, we have out tank set up to have mostly water except for a corner rock set up we created using natural things and also the floating island. Should we have more of a dry area?

Thanks for any information!
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

First off congrats on your new turtle! Their can be several reasons he is not eating one is since you moved him into a new set-up it takes them awhile to get used to it so they dont eat. Second you said you had a baby, babies tend to prefer meat. Try feeding him shrimp or krill even tuna. They also seem to enjoy feeder guppies. I as well have a baby and I feed him krill, shrimp, guppies, meal worms and crickets. He seems to enjoy all of these. Dont worry about him not eating, turtles can go weeks without eating just give him time. Good Luck!!
pamoch1
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel better. This is kind of a joint venture for myself and my 10 year old daughter. Do you think it\'s better to remove him from his tank to feed? Also, do I just drop the food in to the water and he\'ll find it or how does that work? I keep reading things about \"when I feed my turtle...\" These floating pellets that I bought just float and dissolve and mess up the water!

Do you mean just plain tuna from the can and crickets/worms from the yard?! I guess that sounds too easy.
joe allen
Level 2
Level 2

You may also want to try feeding your turtle some fruit i often feed my turtles peaches out of the can make sure this is all naturale. this helps them because it is brighter then alot of food you can feed them. And turtles see harsh colors the best like red orange and yellow. Well good luck with your new turtle.
pictafan
Level 1
Level 1

Ours didn\'t like the first brand of floating pellets we bought. They like ReptoMin pellets though. They like worms and live fish.

Definitely find a different container to feed them in, otherwise your main tank gets dirty even faster. We just use one of those rectangular plastic pet containers. They need to be in water to eat.

They definitely need a place to be able to get out of the water and bask. We just have a stack of patio bricks. We also have a floating piece of cork which they like to climb on, but the cork tends to get cruddy and overtaken with algae growth over time.
Daman
Level 1
Level 1

Try a small piece of chicken(cooked). Dangle it in front of his mouth IN the water. He should attach himself right to it.
Devil turtle
Level 1
Level 1

my turtles do that eavery winter they go into hybornation eavery year.
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

I am glad I could help. I feed my RES\'s in their tank but a lot of people don\'t. What I do is if they dont eat their pellets in 5-10 minutes I remove them so the tank doesnt get dirty. Same for live food. Choosing where to feed them is totally up to you.
Yes I mean tuna from a can (just plain though) and crickets from your yard. Turtles will try anything for the most part. Good Luck!
  • Information