Completely new to turtles

Discussions about turtles.
Terri

I know nothing about turtles. Can anybody out there answer any of these questions? I can\'t get a response to clicking on the \"newbie\" link.... THANKS!
1. What kind of turtle makes a good (easy) pet?
2. Do any kinds of turtles like to be held?
3. Do turtles smell?
4. I\'m thinking a \"land\" turtle would be easier to set up/maintain than a \"water\" turtle. Is this correct?
5. Any suggestions, comments, etc. are muchly appreciated!!!
Erica
Level 1
Level 1

Well from what i\'ve learned so far since i\'m fairley new as well Red ear sliders or \"res\" are the easiest pet turtle to keep, they\'re not too fond of being played with but mine doesnt mind it, if you dont clean them very often they do get smelly mines still very young and in a 20 gallon tank with a filter by herself and i need to clean her about once a week to keep her smelling fresh, from what i\'ve read since i got my turtle half half turtles like a res need the least space but i dont really know and to the last one before you buy one really look into it because i didnt know mine would be such a responcibility but she really is but it is very much worth it i love her so much!
pictafan
Level 1
Level 1

1. What kind of turtle makes a good (easy) pet?
We only have R.E.S so I can\'t advise.
2. Do any kinds of turtles like to be held?
Ours will tolerate it, but they are anxious to be put back.
3. Do turtles smell?
Our turtles don\'t smell but their water does.
4. I\'m thinking a \"land\" turtle would be easier to set up/maintain than a \"water\" turtle. Is this correct?
I thought I read somewhere that land turtles are actually harder to keep healthy.
5. Any suggestions, comments, etc. are muchly appreciated!!!
Well, here\'s what I think you should know. If we knew how much work this $20 turtle would be, we would never have gotten it. Within weeks of getting it, it had a $200 vet bill for pneumonia and I had to give it shots for three weeks. The vet advised that we needed a bigger tank, a UV light, a basking light, and a heater all of which added up to a hefty chunk of $ as well. The vet did not recommend a turtle as a pet because it is difficult to give them the right conditions to keep them healthy. It\'s also a 20 - 30 year commitment. But it sure is cute. For the most part, they are not the kind of pet that you pick and play with but they are pretty interesting to watch. Plan on a water change in the tank at least once a week.
[/quote]
  • Information