question about lighting

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

Have you guys heard of plant lights? They sell them at Wal-mart and they are fairly cheap. My question is would this work for UVB lights? They have to have UVB in them because plants need UVB rays to grow. I currently have a UVB light that I purchased at a pet store. The plant light is way cheaper and if it does the same thing could I use it once my other light goes out? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Trtlgrl2_78
Level 1
Level 1

I don\'t know if they work the same or not, but ya know what. We buy the cheaper ones ;P and my turtles seem to be doing just fine.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Most lights omit UVB and UVA, but is the light you have omitting enough??? There is a reason why one is $10 and the other is $25
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

What cheaper ones? Where do you purchase them? Do they have UVB rays? Thanks for the reply but my boyfriend and I are trying to safe as much money as we can (college students) without negelecting our turtles. Thanks again for the reply.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

By \"cheaper ones\" he means the ones you are buying the plant lights. These are cheap compared to the ones you should be buying
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

bradleychris, I do have the UVB lighting that you purchase at a pet store. I am trying to see what light gives the same amount of UVB rays that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. Items at a pet store are expensive and a lot of times you can buy the same thing at Wal-Mart the only difference is the name. I want my turtles to be happy and have the correct lighting, I am trying to research a kind of light that would work and do the same job as the UVB lights that you purchase at a pet store.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Best way to do this is to look at the package. Somewhere it should say the % of UVB light omitted from each light. I am guessing the petshop ones omitt more

Good Luck
  • Information