what's normal

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
grace cure

My slider named Shera is sheading around the neck and the shell on top is peeling. I suppose this is normal. How ofen do they do this? I just made a new healthy home for her I think a new 30 gal. tank, basking area with heat lamp, she eating Wardley reptile sticks, zoo med's aquatic turtle food and gold fish. She's very active. I keep tank between 76 and 80. And we have a new filter, penguin bio wheel 330. We cleaned the rocks yesterday and it's beginning to smell again? I can use some imput. Thanks.
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

grace cure wrote:
My slider named Shera is sheading around the neck and the shell on top is peeling. I suppose this is normal. How ofen do they do this? I just made a new healthy home for her I think a new 30 gal. tank, basking area with heat lamp, she eating Wardley reptile sticks, zoo med's aquatic turtle food and gold fish. She's very active. I keep tank between 76 and 80. And we have a new filter, penguin bio wheel 330. We cleaned the rocks yesterday and it's beginning to smell again? I can use some imput. Thanks.
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

Shedding is a normal thing for them to do.
A sulfa bath is good for them on occasions. You can pick this up at your local pet store.
As for the smell ; I ahve been battling that for some time. We recently upgraded to a 20 gal long tank for ours. They really enjoy it. We purchased the Viquarium to go in this that includes a filter. The filter takes the Whisper Bio cartridges and is great. Since this I haven't had that awful smell. There are also some drops you can purchase that speeds up the process of breaking down their waste. I forget the name but you should find this at the pet store also. Are you taking out the left over food that is not eaten ? This also helps with the smell control.
Hope I helped a little.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

shedding apparently happens when they are growing. the more i watch mine, they only shed when they are having a growth spurt. i may be wrong in this, but that seems the time that they do it. as for the smell....well, i have yet to figure out a full time way to keep that from happening....

take her to a vet just 2 be sure
l8or_g8or
Level 2
Level 2

Shedding is perfectly normal. As long as your turtle is eating, swimming, and basking, there is no need to worry. The drops for the tank are called \"Turtle Clean\" and is aproximately $5. A little bit goes a long way.
  • Information