another one...dead.

Discussions about turtles.
greatgondi
Level 2
Level 2

Hi! I had 2 baby RES\'s, a stinkpot, and a yellow belly slider all in a 10 gallon tank. I have a water heater from walmart that keeps the temperature around 80 degrees at all times. there\'s a rock they can sun on and plenty of water in the tank. Last week, my brand new yellow belly died. I don\'t know what happened to him, I just found him floating in the water. He hadn\'t been eating but I figured it was because he was new.
Today I found my newest RES floating in the water as well. She was also dead. My heart is absolutely broken and I have no idea what they died from. This makes me feel completely helpless b/c I don\'t know how to fix the problem. Both of them stopped eating and layed on the rock most of the day for at least a week. My RES stayed on the rock so much her shell began to turn gray. How can I prevent this from happening again? Does anyone have any idea?

I also have water conditioner in the tank as well as 4 tiny shrimp and 4 minows. Could any of this have played a part? My heater is new as well. There\'s a small amount of algea in the tank too, but i was told that it was ok since the fish eat it.

Please help! I can\'t stand the thought of the other two dying!!!
l8or g8or

A 10 gallon tank really isn\'t big enough for the turtles, even hatchlings. I would take out the shrimp & the minnows, as they are only making the water dirtier. You need to have some type of filter. What kind of water conditioner are you talking about? I never use anything in my tanks and they are perfectly fine. The water temp should be around 76 -78 degrees.
greatgondi
Level 2
Level 2

I\'m not sure if it\'s a conditioner, but it\'s called \"wardley Turtle Tank Neutralizer.\" It\'s a block in the shape of a turtle that adds calcium to the water. I\'ll gt rid of the minows right away and I have the 2 remaining turtles in a fresh tank. One of them is acting sick though...hopefully he\'s just basking. You don\'t think the new heater played a part in any of it, do you? I saw a spot on the heater where paint chipped off so I wasn\'t sure if it was safe.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

The turtle tank neutrilizer, it is for 20g of water right? For the amount of water in your tank is probably not to the 10g point...it\'s really to much for your tank. Next time get a hammer, put the turtle block in a plastic bag (turtle block not the turtle!) and give it a good whack. Put in small peices, estimate by how much water is in the tank. In the long run I would definatly reccomend buying a bigger tank. It is a good investment if you are not planning to dig a pond they can stay in year-round. Where do you live? The res and stinkpot are native right? Do a bit of research and find out what you would like to do. The heater which you spoke of could have been the problem as well. Is the tank temp 74-80 degerees? If it is above that then the heat is whats been doing this. (Algea is not harmful in small amounts scrub it off the turts shell with a toothbrush)
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Oh, and I think wardley turtle tank neutralizers are for killing off contaminants in the water. The name suggests it neutrilizes something...better read the fine print next time.
greatgondi
Level 2
Level 2

The water is at 80 degrees most of the time--it doesn\'t vary much. The turtle block doesn\'t specify a certain amount of water but I took your advice. The package only says that it neutralizes chemicals in the water so it\'s a safe environment for turtles. Thanks for your help! If you think of anything else, please let me know. We think the first turtle that died was sick when he was at the pet shop, but the last one I\'ve had for 2 months.
turtlelover001

Definately clean your aquarium thoroughly for the two turtles. That means water, rocks, etc - everything. Scrub it. It sounds like you might have some sort of virus, bacteria, or fungus that is dangerous to the turtles. Also, the turtle blocks (they come in neutralizers and mineral blocks) will slowly disintegrate, so that shouldn\'t be a problem. What does sound like a problem though is the size of the tank for the number of turtles. In all fairness to the animals, keep less in a small tank. Better to have two tanks if it comes to that:)
greatgondi
Level 2
Level 2

thanks for the advice! I have the turtles in a new tank that is clean but now i have a strange smell coming either from the lamp or the heater. I have no idea what it is but it doesn\'t smell rotten. it smells like a chemical or something but i can\'t find what it is.
pictafan
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like a short in the electrical housing of either the lamp or the heater. I\'d keep the lamp off for a few days and see if you can identify the source of the smell by the process of elimination. Is the heater keeping the right temperature? Wonder if they got electrocuted somehow.
greatgondi
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks!
My heater always keeps it between 70-80 degrees. It may have been shock, but I don\'t understand how the other 2 turtles have avoided it so far. I turned the lamp off and switched tanks. The lamp is back on now and still no smell. Maybe it was the tank?
  • Information