Where to feed

Discussions about turtles.
Daman
Level 1
Level 1

I just got two small(illegal) RES for my son, have set up the tank and feed them floating hatchling pellets.
I have read that they like guppies or chicken or tuna for the protein.
My question is: do they have to eat in water or should I try a piece of chicken on the island? Also, how small of pieces, do I put it to thier mouths and should I leave it in the tank for a short period of time if they do not take to it right away?
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

First off, RES have to be in water to feed. It\'s ok to place some chicken on the island but they will drag it into the water before swallowing. A good idea would be to find a separate container in which to feed them because they do make a mess which means more cleaning. Another thing is that most turtles that small won\'t eat a guppie and it will just end up getting injured and diing. Best to wait until later before letting them hunt. Try to feed different brands of pellets with chicken and maybe some dried or freeze dried krill. Don\'t overdo the tuna, it is a saltwater fish and from what I\'ve heard they should be eating mostly freshwater animal protein.
herpetologistguy
Level 1
Level 1

give it a few months and you might want to try to feed it \"pinhead\" crickets which you\'ll need to buy from a petstore (field crickets put up a bigger fight) My painted is about 2 inches or less and he is already graduated to adults
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

You just need to keep a varity.

I have a baby paint, when he was about 2 inches he started eating guppies. When you go to the pet shop tell them you need the smallest ones. Also when the fish start to get smart the turtle may not be able to catch them, so I catch them and feed them to him by hand.

I also keep live shrimp in the tank at all times. Usually about a dozen. He eats them slowly, but after a couple weeks I still have someleft.

The rest of his diet consists of live meal worms, small night crawlers, and I do have a LOW protein pellet i feed on a consistant base. Also I use reptocal for a vitamin supplement.

I guess I always look at the turtles natural environment and tries to give him the foods that he would catch himself in the wild. I have tried the chix, tuna, and he doesn\'t like them as much as crawlers and meal worms, bugs etc.
  • Information