Got my turtle eating from my hand!

Discussions about turtles.
sarky
Level 2
Level 2

I\'m so touched! I read about other people here hand feeding their turtles but I thought Winston would be too shy for that. He used to be so scared of me and would swim away whenever he saw me coming. (People can\'t believe what great eyesight he has for a little turtle!) But lately he has been cautiously swimming to the top at feeding time and doesn\'t try desperately to jump when I pick him up to put him in his feeding tank. Now he is eating mealworms and veggie chunks from my fingers. I just have to make sure he doesn\'t try to eat my fingers too!

So should I feel \"loved\" or just flattered that he associates me with food? ;-)
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Heh heh, I\'m glad you got him to do that! That shows he trusts you and looks to you for food. It\'s so cute when they try to swim into you face through the glass. I think certain animals are able to love you, but I\'m not to sure about turtles. They probably see us as an instant food producer,
but they do appreciate it in their own way. It\'s hard to say what goes on in their heads, but if one of their tank mates dies or they get a new owner, they do notice, and may have a change in their personalities for a while. It depends from turtle to turtle.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I started feeding Monet by hand right away when he was a baby....He definately knows the hand that feeds
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hi!
I think turtles are definitely able to distinguish between people & may develop a fondness for certain people. They approach me whenever they see me & eat out of my hand all the time, but they run away whenever my little cousins or someone they don\'t know get nearby. When I first got them, my little cousins would poke at them (now I monitor them closely & don\'t allow them to touch the turtles). They have excellent eyesight & although they may have a tiny brain, I think they may have good memory too.

Shai631.
  • Information