fish

Discussions about turtles.

I posted before about not being able to purchase feeder fish at a local pet store,
so I went to a different one and got 4.
One of my turtles is relentlessly hunting down the fish, I put a plastic pot in so they could hide, I don\'t want my turts to eat them yet. Um dose it put a lot of stress on the fish? Pain?
l8or g8or

Well, lets see... put yourself in that situation. You are being chased by something that wants to eat you - nuf\' said!

Yeah but fish arn\'t exactly smart so would they? My turtle stoped trying to eat them so I guess they\'re ok.
l8or g8or

Actually, I think it\'s just how we feel when we put them in there. I personally cannot stand to watch them being chased and then eaten. Joe had 3 feeder fish that she gave up on, but they made the tank so much dirtier so I gave them to my daughter. Now I just stick to fresh dead shrimp.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

I get attatched to things very easily even fish...I guess thats why you shouldn\'t name things if they are going to be eaten. Anyways, the turtles arn\'t very interested anymore since they found out fish could swim very fast and I hope they will last long enough for spring so I can put them in the fish pond. Heh I had to drive 120 mins to get my fish because of the fish activist at the local one...why would you take a job selling fish if you refuse to sell feeder fish? I mean, think about it. Probably 1 in 20 pet fish die of natural causes. I knew of a girl who called thursday fish day because hers died every week and her parents actually continued buying her fish every week for years maybe. I hope she doesn\'t get a cat. How would you get fresh dead shrimp? That\'s not frozen right? One thing I think was even more sad then little fish in the tank was live baby mice. They are so cute I don\'t know how people can stand to watch them die like that. I think I said fish a little to much so I\'m going to go now.:)
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I always keep fish in my tank. Fortunatley I don\'t become attached to them. I do by them for two reasons though. 1 for food and 2 for cleaniness. The fish will eat any food that the turtle doesn\'t. If I don\'t have fish after a couple of days some particals will build up on the bottom, but if I have fish the fish will eat all of it.

So I enjoy having them. I also love it when he chases them down and rips there bodies in half
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

also I keep live \"ghost shrimp\" in my tank for the same purpose.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Hmm thats a nice description. I don\'t like the idea of any animal suffering...I had to kill a fish after finding it with a chunk of it\'s tail missing, but I chopped it\'s head off and fed the rest to my turts...who ate the head too. Which, by the way was the most humane thing I could do at the time because it had been sick and slow since I got it and was odviously easy prey. I guess it\'s for the best, and don\'t you find the fish make just as much mess as they clean? I have to clean the tank about every other day now.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Penguin,

what kind of filter are you using?? and what size tank.

I have 20G with 1 turtle, 12 tetras, and about 12 shrimp and I only change out the water \"completely\" once a month. In between cleanings I add water because of evaporation and I rotate water. But my water is never \"unclear\" or dirty. This was when I had a duetto filter(which is not very effective).

I just purchased a fluval 304 canister filter(made for a 70 gallon tank), so I see what will happen now
l8or g8or

I think a 50% water change should be done at least once a week. I feed my turtles in a seperate bucket, using water from their tank. While they are eating, I do a 50% water change in my 35 gallon tank & 20 gallon tank. In my 100 gallon I do about a 20 gallon change. About once a week I do a 100% change. I wouldn\'t want to drink, swim or eat in my toilet, and that is exactly what turtles have to do daily.
turtlelover001

Your turtle will soon tire of the chase but not the bait. So your turtle will realize that night time is best for hunting and you will notice one fewer fish the next day. The only exception to this for most turtles is with sick or old fish. Turtles actually help by putting them out of their/any misery.

Personally, I think that it is cruel to place the fish in such a predicament. I used to do the same (but for \'decoration\' since I had a HUGE tank and the fish could easily outswim the turtles ... but the turtles will still find a way (at night time) to hunt even the stongest fish:(
  • Information