swollen eyes

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
kaska101
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just got two baby turtles for Christmas. One of them is doing fine, the other one has swollen eyes and has not eaten in at least 5 days. His eyes appear to bother him, and he rubs at them a little. I\'ve administered Polysporin eye drops, but I\'m not sure if any of the medication is actually getting inside. Any advice?
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Did you know you were getting them for christmas? I kind of have the same kind of problem with one of my turtles eye. It looks fine in the water, but when she basks it swells to twice it\'s normal size and she always scratches it. It looks kind of red in the corners and I put some eye wash and medicated drops and it helped a bit. I don\'t know the effect, but I used the perscription ones I got from my vet for my dogs eye problem. I wouldn\'t reccomend using dog eye drops but you can buy something called turtle eye wash from a pet store, it should work.
kaska101
Level 1
Level 1

The turtles were a pleasant unexpected surprise. I used to have two adult painted turtles when I was young. I cannot get turtle eyedrops in Ottawa, Canada (they don\'t sell turtles or turtle supplies here). That\'s why I was told to use the Polysporin (gentle human brand). I don\'t think it\'s working, and the little guy still won\'t eat. He seems reactive to touch, and swims a little, but I\'m afraid he\'s not going to make it if he doesn\'t start eating.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

I am living in Ontario too and I know how hard it is to find the turtle products you need.
I did some research and this is more serious than I thought. The swollen eyes and loss of appitite are symptoms to pneumonia or a Vitamin A deficiency. These are both fatal without immediate medical attention. It explains it in more detail here: http://www.allturtles.com/care_sheets/first_aid.php#3
I looked at some listed vets in Canada and here\'s how you can contact the only one I know of in Ottawa:
Lynnewood Animal Hospital
30 Thorncliff Pl
Ottawa, Ontario
K2H 6L2
613-820-0443
Hope this helps!
kaska101
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you. I really appreciate the help!
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Your welcome I\'m glad to help!
kaska101
Level 1
Level 1

I took my turtle in to the vet (Lynwood Animal Hospital). He said that it was most likely a vitamin deficiency causing the swollen eyes. To encourage his appetite, I\'m supposed to soak him in V8 juice 3-4 times a day. He gulps it a little as he sits in it. (The turtle has to be thoroughly rinsed after his bath.) He is too little to try to force feed him. He is also too little for Vitamin A shots. I\'ll let you know how the V8 soak works. I\'m also going to try the Nekton-R, a nutrient additive for reptiles that should be available at some pet stores in Ottawa.
  • Information