Keeps blinking: normal?

Discussions about turtles.
varun

One of my RES keeps blinking - just wondering whether this is normal? The other guy doesn\'t blink at all... I hope \"blinky\" isn\'t going blind or something... Is there something I should do? something I should check?

Thanks,

- V.
Turtlelover198
Level 1
Level 1

You should probably check its eyes. Make sure they are bright and clear, and alert to movement. if they are not, and are foggy and unalert, than there must be something wrong with its eyes. I suggest you gently place the chelonian in cool (not cold) water.Or sometimes turtles blink because they are bothered by something. Check its terrarium for anything irritating to a turtle. If the blinking doesn\'t stop, take it to the vet. (ps what is a RES??????????????????)
Last edited by Turtlelover198 on Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l8or g8or

Is this happening all the time, or just when you change the water? You should be doing a 50/50 water change weekly - you could have too much chlorine in your tap water.
varun

RES: Red-eared slider. :-)

His eyes are too small to be really checked, given that he\'s all of 1.5\" big(shell).

What confuses me is that the other guy (somewhat older, at around 1.8\") doesn\'t exhibit this blinking behaviour at all.

Chlorine: you might have a point there (though shouldn\'t both exhibit the same behaviour? then again, perhaps they have different tolerance levels). I\'ve been replacing ALL their water every two days - will reduce the cycle and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

- V.
  • Information