my turtle eyes are shut!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
adele
Level 1
Level 1

my turtle used to be very active and eats alot. but recently he keeps closing his eyes and gets very inactive. today he din eat and i think its becourse he shuts his eyes. but he still can open his eyes occasionally...wads wrong!
cheetah
Level 2
Level 2

check your water temp. if it\'s too cold he might be going into hibernation? that\'s just a possibility...not for sure though..good luck
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

I used to have turtles and they started to close their eyes and stopped eating. Sad to say, they died. And it was all my fault too because I did not supply the right source of light and heat for them. Lack of sunlight and heat causes turtles to become inactive and lose appetite and in the long run, die.

Therefore, if you want your turtles to eat and not be inactive, make sure that there is a water heater in their tank during the winter. The water temp. should be around 70-75 degrees Farenheit. Also, they need to have exposure to sunlight to maintain an appetite. To mimic sunlight, you will need the UVB/UVA flourescent light bulb in the aquarium tank.

The above should help your turtle. Right now my 9 year old RES is very healthy and I had her since she was the size of a quarter!
Lots of luck with your turtle!
  • Information