What kind of plants!?!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
slider
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new baby RES and a big RES. I just got a specialized 20 gallon turtle tank. I was to make it better by adding plants. What kind of plants should I buy?
herpetoculturist
Level 1
Level 1

well, to let you know, plants arent the best when it comes to turtles. the hyper-activity of aquatics (especially RES\'s) makes them very distructible. you\'ll find your self proud one day to have set-up what you think is the perfect aquarium only to wake up an see that the turtles decided it wasnt that good. but its up to you, id suggest plastic plants because real ones can be expensive and needed to be replaced continuously as they destroy them like a godzilla movie.

on another note, be wise about the size difference in which your turtles are, this may or may not be a very good idea.
love to help.
adam
herpetologistguy
Level 1
Level 1

slider wrote:
I have a new baby RES and a big RES. I just got a specialized 20 gallon turtle tank. I was to make it better by adding plants. What kind of plants should I buy?
I have a baby painted turtle and he is happy with a few clay pots tipped on their side. As long as they have a place to hide and a place to get out of the water you are fine!
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I used to use plants...I found that they are messy and the turt \"destroyed them like the godzilla movie\". I no longer use them. Unless you can find a cheap price on them I think they are a rip off. I like the look of them though. Just about every plastic plant I have seen look like s***
jellybino
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 baby RES, and I got them 3 of the plastic plants and they absolutley LOVE them. They like to hide in them, and they also like to dig the base up out of the gravel, so it gives them something to do. And it only takes a sec to replant it, so I think they are defianatly worth it.
  • Information