Sally and Linus, Alge?

Discussions about turtles.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Sally and Linus -- I am now going to open a discussion on alge. LOL Okay, now I know some growth on the turtles are fine, but I keep my little monsters totally free of the stuff. I know that in the wild they need it for camoflauge and things, but since they are in the tank and not in the pond, is this okay? I'm just wondering! =o) I don't want to do anything that will harm them. I know trial and error, but I would rather not do it on my animals....LOL
mi_gr_princess

I'm glad you posted that question. I have the opposite problem! I change my turtle's water every other day and he still have ALOT of alge on his shell. He's just a baby - maybe 2 inches diameter. How do you keep the alge off yours?
My other question is, what do you feed your turtle? I've been feeding mine romaine lettuce and he/she loves it! But it gets very expensive because I have to buy the entire head of it, I don't like it and he doesn't eat it all before it gets yucky. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Well, I feed mine feeder guppies. I also have Tetra Reptomin. My two love it. You could by the lettuce in the resealable bags. It stays fresher longer. I even put my in the freezer and then let whatever I'm going to feed them the next day thaw out over night in the fridge.
Keeping the alge off is easy. I take a soft bath cloth and bath them. Not with soap, just some warm water and I gently wipe off their shells. Always check the shells for soft spots and I make sure that their eyes are not cloudy and they have a healthy color. Hope this helps!
Jinn47

have you tried a alge eater?
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

i would love to try an algae eater, but won't the two water monsters eat it?

get the biggest alge eater in the store and I think you will be fine.Trial and Error.
minimanY2Kev
Level 1
Level 1

An easy solution to alge is giving it one of them UV lights. I do not think bathing the turtle is the best idea (no offense to the people who do) for it is not natural. The Uv acts as sun and should keep off alge well.
l8or_g8or
Level 2
Level 2

Joe has a little on her shell as well, when we clean her tank she gets a good scrubbing with a toothbrush.
  • Information