I\'m wondering about my turtle home!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Bayard

I just got some red ear turtles and I got them a circle tank. it\'s eleven inches, I was wondering if anyone could give a setup plan or some advice on whether or not i need a bigger tank
joe allen
Level 2
Level 2

Ok thank you for your E-MAIL i thought about this and done some research on the net and i realy think that a round tank is much to small for more than one red ear slider. I don\'t know how many of them you have but i do have a good suggestion for you for a cheap easy home. I have 5 species of turtles and for three of them i use clear plastic storage containers that are about ten dollars at wal-mart thiese work very good and will hold up to at least 2 red eared sliders. Iv\'e done research on this as well and i\'m not the only one who dose this. It is safe for the turtles and will work very well for space and budgete. Next i will give you tips for a tank setup. Refere to my next post.
joe allen
Level 2
Level 2

: First thing you should look into is a good filter. Turtles stink, any owner of turtles will tell you that. The best way to keep the smell down is to have an effective filter. Most filters are designed for fish tanks, great, but turtles need more than that. (See question 5 for more info)

NO GRAVEL IN THE TANK! Gravel at the bottom is where most of the smells will come from. Uneaten food and waste will get into the gravel and fester there. If you have a clean glass bottom, the filter will remove any thing like that and the turtles will not be able to eat the gravel. If your turtle eats gravel, they can\'t digest it and you could have problems.

Next, if you can\'t keep the tank at approximately 72F (22-23C), look into a heater. Here is where fish and turtles need the same thing. Get a heater that is meant for your tank size. Also on the topic of temperature, get the little guys a basking lamp and a nice rock or ledge on which to use it. Turtles get their body heat from their surroundings as they are cold blooded. Giving them a nice warm basking lamp and rock on which to sit is a wonderful thing. Also, when the turtle can get completely out of the water and dry off, it allows the shell to harden.

4. Q. How much water do I need to keep my turtle healthy and happy?

A: The general rule is this: you need as much water as the turtle is long. If the turtle can touch bottom and breathe at the same time, you need more water.

5. Q. What kind and how strong a filter do I need to keep my tank clean?

A: What I recommend is that you get a submersible power filter that is designed for a fish tank 3-4 times the size of the one you have. For example, if you have a 10 gallon tank, get a filter designed for a fish tank that is 30-40 gallons in size. A good brand of filter that I recommend is the Fluval filters from Hagen. They are submersible, powerful and easy to maintain. For a 10 gallon tank, get a Fluval 2. For up to a 30 gallon tank, get a Fluval 4. If you have a tank larger than 30 gallons, look into a filter that takes the water out of the tank, runs it through a canister and then pumps it back in. These are the most effective filters of larger tanks.

This will help you to get started. If you need any more help don\'t hessitate to write me agian i will reseach and answer all your questions.

/joe

From now on you can just write your questions in my e-mail.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Joe...my turtle doesn\'t stink what do you think is wrong???
Fofusu
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve seen some large (55g+) turtle tanks with AquaClear 500 filters. I was thinking about getting one of those and using my Fluval 2Plus as a secondary tank filter. I like the ease-of-use the AquaClear offers. The tank I am getting is a short and wide 75 gallon pool.

Good idea or no?
joe allen
Level 2
Level 2

I don\'t think that your turtle stinks i was just giving you a basic guide for tank set up. SORRY
jellybino
Level 1
Level 1

Fofusu...I used to have an aqua clear filter...I\'ve heard they work great, but make sure it\'s big enough for your tank. I got a mini, and I don\'t have the tank filled up the whole way, so it didn\'t want to suck the water up the tube. I even tried filling the tank up the whole way to get the filter running, and then taking the excess water out, and it still didn\'t want to run. Just a thought :)
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Guys spend a little extra and get a canister filter, Fluval makes some nice ones. I know that they are expense, but if you go on eBay or www.thatpetplace.com you can get a Fluval 304 for $85, samr filter costs 169 in petshop.

Once you buy one you will see what I mean.
I used to mess around with a piece of fecies filter........never again
Fofusu
Level 1
Level 1

bradleychris wrote:
Guys spend a little extra and get a canister filter, Fluval makes some nice ones. I know that they are expense, but if you go on eBay or www.thatpetplace.com you can get a Fluval 304 for $85, samr filter costs 169 in petshop.

Once you buy one you will see what I mean.
I used to mess around with a piece of fecies filter........never again

yeah, I did some more research on filters and am now saving up for a fluval 404 so I can be set for years... :)

go to allturtles.com they can tell you what kinf of tanks to get for red-eared sliders. trust me i haev 4

bradleychris wrote:
Joe...my turtle doesn\'t stink what do you think is wrong???
don\'t worry my turtle dosen\'t stink either
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

turtlechix200303 wrote:
go to allturtles.com they can tell you what kinf of tanks to get for red-eared sliders. trust me i haev 4
We are on Allturtles.com. I think???
  • Information