a question about turtles...

Ask questions about your turtles behavior here. (Fighting, strange things, etc.)
sweetangel314
Level 1
Level 1

Recently my teacher told the class that turtles breath from there butt and from there nose. I was wondering is that true?
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Do you breate from your butt? I don\'t think it is possible since they don\'t have a windpipe back there.
l8or g8or

Last edited by l8or g8or on Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweetangel314
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks.. now i will prove my teacher wrong..
l8or g8or

\"Turtles have extraordinary anaerobic capacity--they have survived up to 33 hours in a pure nitrogen atmosphere. (Most reptiles have a high anaerobic capacity compared to mammals, but even they can\'t survive much more than 30 minutes without oxygen.) Although basically air-breathing, many aquatic species have developed ways to pick up oxygen even when submerged. Of these the most remarkable, which some turtles share with dragonfly nymphs, sea cucumbers, and certain televangelists, is the ability to breathe through one\'s butt. You\'ve heard the expression ‘Blow it out your after regions?’ It\'s no mere figure of speech. Many species have a pair of sacs (bursae) opening off the cloaca (combined digestive and urogenital chamber). These are heavily vascularized to facilitate the uptake of oxygen.\"
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

My god thats disturbing...Imagine breathing from your butt! It says SOME turtles...which ones?
  • Information