RES and food

Discussions about turtles.
jonny

My RES is now about four months old. I think I\'ve spoiled him with too much food too often, but he eats everything voraciously? Should I scale back to twice or even once a day?

Also, I feel bad leaving him in a tank all day. I usually take him out once a day for about a half hour to walk around inside. I can\'t tell if he enjoys it or not, he usually tries to go into a dark place under furniture.
greatgondi
Level 2
Level 2

Hey!
I spoiled my first RES too... He now eats all the other turtles food and begs for more constantly. I have feeder fish and shrimp in his tank but he will only eat fish if they are dead and the shrimp are much faster than him. I\'ve cut back to once a day but I have to take him out of the tank when I feed the others. My turtle food says to feed them only once a day but I\'ve heard other people say in their posts that they feed them only twice a week! I can\'t resists my turtles\' \"puppy dog eyes\" that they give when they want food!!
cheetah
Level 2
Level 2

Johnny,
hey i feed my res twice a day..about 8am and then again around 7pm and i also have fish in his tank for him to get exercise cause he like to chase them and if he\'s too hungry i\'m sure he would eat them....i personally don\'t know if that\'s to much but i do keep a watchful eye on his growth making sure his shell doesn\'t get to big for him....He also begs and i swear he would eat 24/7 if he could! i believe that the younger they are the more you feed them...but i would wait for other opinions on that.
i also take him out almost everyday for about 30 to 60 mins to let him run around and play. He loves it cause he can climb over things and find dark hiding spots that he goes to for a time out of playing....the longer you have your turtle the easier it is to figure out what he likes and dislike...good luck and have fun
l8or g8or

If you want to feed him twice a day, just cut back on the size of the portion. Also, you should give him one day a week without food at all.
  • Information