Small while worms

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

I just cleaned out my tank and noticed that there are all these small white worms crawling on the sides. I never saw that before. Can someone tell me what they are and what do I need to buy to get rid of them?
joe allen
Level 2
Level 2

Ok i wsn\'t sure at first but then i done some research i have found that these can grow off of turtles fish and plants but they will not hurt the turtle. I\'m not sure how to get rid of them yet but will try to figure it out and grt back to you but i hope that this will ease your mind a little bit.

/JOE
sharilynne

i found a bunch of these in my tank crawling all over the glass walls :( WHAT ARE THEY?!!?! i just cleaned out the tank and cleaned all the rocks but i want to know what those things were and how they got there, and how to prevent them cuz they were really really disgusting!!! HELP!!!

I have these two and i was told that one of my turtles has worms up in thier shell. i had a river turtle and there were worms in his tank too and when i got rid of him i got 1 res and she was fine. then i got another river turtle with my res and there are worms agian. i have drained and bleached and washed the tank and it still has worms. the last time i had worms 1 of my turtles got sick. help me out plzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

Some people say that all turtles got worms in their body the day they were born. So maybe it\'s those worms that you saw. I usually wash the tank once a week with hot water(without the turtles). But i am not sure if it helps.
lightbeam1

I had those small white worms too. But I just got done cleaning my tank and found really big (1/2 cm) redish colored worms. EWWWWWWW Are they safe for the turtle, and more curious... are they safe for me??? I got them all over my hand! BLECK! Anyone know?
Nugbucket

Yeah! I got these tiny tiny wiggly worms swimming around in my tank for the first time yesterday. My painted turtle has been in captivity since it was a baby (20 years ago) and this is the first time I\'ve seen these worms. I\'ve done a lot of tank gazing in my time and I\'ve never seen these worms before. She (my turtle) stopped eating 3 months ago, and now these worms show up? Is there anybody in this forum that nows what they\'re talking about? I don\'t mean to put anyone down, really, but it seems like the only answers anyone ever gets are foggy ones from people who \"just heard about it\" or \"I\'m not sure, but you could try this...\" Those types of answers don\'t cut it when you\'re talking life or death. If there is anyone here that knows ANYTHING solid about turtles, please let me and the rest of the folks here know. There are a lot of questions about these worms, dating back a long way, and they seem as if they\'ve never goten answered. Help, real help, is greatly appreciated. And I\'m sure I\'m not just speaking for myself...
Nugbucket

ARE THERE EVEN MODERATORS ON THIS SITE?!?!?! This forum and this board have been no help at all. While no one is answering any questions, people\'s turtles are dying. If mine is sick, I won\'t even know. These forums are supposed to be a resource, not a hindrance...
Greg2255288
Level 2
Level 2

why dont u clean your an with a mild bleach formula, dulite it with tare. take ur turtle out of teh water and feep him dry for a while, amybe thatll kil the worms. if no luck, then the obvioulsy thing to do is call the ve!!! if u want help call a vet, i mean if ur no gettig it from a message board then dont get mad at people here just b/ theynever had woms b4. CALL THE VET!!!!!!
Lisa

Patti wrote:
I just cleaned out my tank and noticed that there are all these small white worms crawling on the sides. I never saw that before. Can someone tell me what they are and what do I need to buy to get rid of them?
  • Information