My 3 RES are not eating

Discussions about turtles.
TurtleDove
Level 1
Level 1

We have 3 RES, (Franklin,Delanor & Roosevelt)we found them in the spring 1 at a time in our yard. They didn\'t eat at first as expected but after about a week they all started eating very well, we usually feed them twice a day and they are normally beggers for the food but for about the last week and half they haven\'t eaten a thing and I am beginning to get very worried about them. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
TurtleDove
Level 1
Level 1

My husband brought home a turtle care book which states that our turtles are wanting to hibernate. It says that you can keep the temp. warm so that they won\'t but that it is best to let them go through their natural state of hibernation. I have seen very different opinions so far on here, but no-one has answered my question yet so I will just do what the book says for now, thanks.
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

They probably have went into hibernation thats why they are not eating. I personally have kept my turtles water warm so he wont go into hibernation. I have heard different oponions on the matter so I think it is up to you if you let them hibernate. Good Luck!
TurtleDove
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your response, I think that it would be best now to let them finish their hibernation period for this year. I am going to discuss this with a vet for next year, I\'m confused on what to do and just want to be sure I\'m doing what is best for them. Thanks again!!!
pamoch1
Level 1
Level 1

How long does a turtle hibernate?
  • Information