Vacation

Discussions about turtles.
jojo1234

I am going on vacation for 12 days and cannot bring my RES. Will it be okay him without food for that period. No one I know can take care of him so he\'ll be alone. Thoughts? Any advice will be appreciated.
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

Your turtle could go without food for that long but I wouldnt do it. You can put some feeder fish in the tank and he will munch on those like guppies or feeder goldfish. The only thing I would be worried about is his lighting. Do you have your turtle a basking light and UVB light? If so how is it going to be turned on and off when your gone? Good Luck and I hope you find a good solution!
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

low watt red basking uv light should do the trick
jojo1234

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully someone will come through and watch him for me though. Thanks again.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

As for lighting I think everyone should have timers set for lighting. Need to make sure his days are kept consisitant. We can\'t always remember to turn them on/off. Five dollar timer from walmart solves that.

As for the food, I agree put some guppies in and the turt will be fine. If he gets hungry enough he\'ll have to chase some fish.

Also if it were me leaving for 12 days I would lower the temperature in his tank about 8 degrees. from 78 to 70. This will slow down the turts metabolism and he won\'t want to eat as much as he usually does, but thats just me.

Good Luck
jojo1234

Thanks again for the advice! I\'m leaving tomorrow and am following the recommendations.
  • Information