Ok, we have a plan!

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

For the past year or so, I\'ve been rescuing turtles from various sub divisions around my comunity. Our lake is infected with a foreign algea that just takes over. I\'m currently looking for a safe natural mud or sand bottomed pond to put them in the wild without motor boats or any disturbance, but so far no luck...or else it is illegal...:p Anyways, some of the turtles that come in require vet checks and rehabilitation, so we are planning to build a medium-sized pond for turtles that have to spend their lives in captivity, ie; lost limbs, sight ect...it\'s going to be 5\' deep with a mud bottom and a sand beach:) but can we put a filter with a waterfall so it doesn\'t become stagnant? Any feedback would be appreciated.
joe allen
Level 2
Level 2

Ok i don\'t completly understand your question but if your asking what i think you are than yes they do make filters and waterfalls that are made for mud and sand bottom ponds if i have not answerd your question fully and would like me to do some research on this for you than please e-mail me and i would be happy to get back to you within the next 24 hours of your post. May need to allow extra time for the holidays but i will do research and get back to you i usually check my e-mail for questions 3-4 times a day so just send me your question.

/JOE
Turtlelover198
Level 1
Level 1

penguin_perfection wrote:
For the past year or so, I\'ve been rescuing turtles from various sub divisions around my comunity. Our lake is infected with a foreign algea that just takes over. I\'m currently looking for a safe natural mud or sand bottomed pond to put them in the wild without motor boats or any disturbance, but so far no luck...or else it is illegal...:p Anyways, some of the turtles that come in require vet checks and rehabilitation, so we are planning to build a medium-sized pond for turtles that have to spend their lives in captivity, ie; lost limbs, sight ect...it\'s going to be 5\' deep with a mud bottom and a sand beach:) but can we put a filter with a waterfall so it doesn\'t become stagnant? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Um, I guess you can. My friend has six turtles and she uses a filter with the waterfall for her turtles\' outdoor lake thingy. Her turtles are all fine. They have all mated and all their hatchlings survived!!!!!!!! Their are taken to the vet for checkups regularily and all of them are healthy. She has had the filter and waterfall for 5 years I don\'t see why you shouldn\'t add a filter. (My friend has got 11 turtles!!!!!)
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Oh because we had to actually strain leaves out of our fish pond because it said they would clog the filter. It\'s winter so I have plenty of time to research but not enough time to save more turtles! They are actually filling in the pond and it\'s winter. They did that when the wildlife preserve partly became a highway and all the hibernating animals were buried under gravel and ashfault. I don\'t care what they say, they more than likely killed off that rare salamander that only lives in this region. All the new subdivisions and highways comming just leave no time for animals to adapt and I\'m sure that they eventually get hit by cars if they do survive the construction. It\'s so sad because most people just don\'t care about nature.
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

Nice jo, I\'ve been doing the same thing for the past year(saving turtles) and I have 12 now. The problem is I\'m not sure were to let them go. Don\'t worry I\'m not releasing the cative turle just the wild ones. I live in Stafford Virginia and I work at Petco and most of my time is spent with animals and other animal lovers. My question is does anyone know of a place near me that I can take them that will meet their needs?
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

It\'s so worth it don\'t you think? I love saving turtles and releasing them where they\'ll be safe. So far I\'m specializing in small species because adult snappers can be quite dangerous if not handled properly.
The biggest threat now is new roads/highways and residential development. Already so much has been taken from local nature. It seems that the mayor is passing a lot of land onto developers, only sparing what they do not own. Wildlife is now confined to parks managed by parks dept., who by the ways to a crapy job and many animals are killed just when they mow the grass.
The city has kept it\'s title as city/country but it is deceiving and people keep on comming, thinking that will all last just in time for a new sub division to go up.
It makes me so angry that the government could not care less about preserving nature and are only concerned about bringing more people here to our little town so they can collect more taxes. If it wasn\'t for all the dedicated protestors, the ONLY and most important peice of moraine land in the GTA would be a sub division.
It is all to much to handle how a problem is now being made much worse, and people are still making excuses, liing and making backdoor deals while the number of turtles and their habitats declines drastically.
Sorry, I probably babble to much about this but it\'s all true and it makes me depressed seeing it happen all around.
  • Information