Questions on pellets

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Foxwolf

Hey! I was wondering how I could get my red ear slider turtles to eat pellets because they won\'t eat. Should I feed them something else? Thanks!
Fred
Level 1
Level 1

This time of year if your water temp. is lower than about 75 deg. they won\'t eat very much It is a sort of hibernation I guess. I went through this last year. You can bring them out of it by raising the temp if you want to. I did that this year but I don\'t know if I want to continue this. I guess it is a personal thing. The only thing I have read so far that it effects is procreation. I am learning as I go so I am no expert. This is just what I have observed. How old are they? I got mine for my kids last summer and they were about 1 inch so I would guess they are about a year and a half. They are about five inches now. If anyone can age them from that I woul be grateful.
lowprofiler
Level 1
Level 1

Did you feed them in a new place or in their habitat? They would need some time to adjust to new surroundings and won\'t eat until they feel comfortable. When I first started feeding my RES\'s outside the tank, they wouldn\'t touch any food. But if nothing is unusual, low temperature could drive down their appetite.
greatgondi
Level 2
Level 2

Lowprofiler and Fred are right! When I first got my baby RESs, they were timid but believe me they will start eating. It also took getting a water heater to get the temp to 80 degrees before they would touch food. Now they beg for food (literally!!!) :)
Foxwolf

Thank you guys so much!
  • Information