ANY PICS??????

Discussions about turtles.
MRPinLubbock
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i currently have a huge 175 gallon tank that has geckos in it...i teach school so here in about 2 weeks when Christmas break comes i am going to get rid of the lizards clean the tank up really good to make it like new again and then i am going to put together a RES habitat..these animals look awesome and i have been researching some about them and looked at them at my local pet store...question is does anyone have pics i can see of their indoor setups to get more ideas on what i may need mine to look like and also what type of heater is needed for the water or will the heat lamp from the lizard cage be ok sitting right over the water to keep it warm,,,any and all help would be greatly appreciated...also how many RES turtles would be good to start with in a tank that size
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Get RID of the geckos?!
That\'s not good. I hope you veiw your RESes with respect and that it is not something to be gotten rid of once the novelty wears off.
Please give the geckos to a nice home and make sure that owning a turtle is something you really want...they are a lot of work and commitment and it\'s not for everybody.
MRPinLubbock
Level 1
Level 1

well thanks for the reply but please dont come on here and post a reply that has nothing to do with what i asked...i am a grown adult been teaching school for 20 years so i think i now what to do ,,,i just asked how many i should start with and also if anyone had pics of their setups i could see
l8or g8or

Thanks for choosing AllTurtles! It is a good place to start to do research on owning a turtle. I can understand where where Penquin is coming from: \"get rid of\" are not words turtle lovers take lightly of, and being an adult has nothing to do with anything. They require A LOT of attention, care, and money. Have you considered what the turtle will do when summer break comes? Since they shouldn\'t be transported from one place to another. Just a thought. You can see pictures of Joe\'s tank on my website. While you are here, if you just search around you will find tons of information as well as links to photos. Another good forum is TurtleTimes (http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/default.asp)

Joe Mama\'s Place: http://usa.internations.net/pets/joemama/joe_mama.html
MRPinLubbock
Level 1
Level 1

nope the turtles wont have to be transported anywhere since the tank is at MY house
l8or g8or

You are definately going to need a good filter system. I just purchased a Fluval 404 from http://bigalsonline.com/ - very resonable prices. A submersible heater, and you need to make some sort of basking area. Might I make a suggestion here? Instead of buying a turtle, why don\'t you rescue one that needs a home. There are so many unwanted turtles available, and it would be wonderful if you could provide one of them with a good home. Please reconsider paying a petshop for a turtle. If you would like help finding one, I would gladly help you, just let me know.
MRPinLubbock
Level 1
Level 1

sure that would be great i would love to give one a good home how do i go about doing it
l8or g8or

Ok, first we need to do some searching and some asking. I personally wouldn\'t have a turtle shipped this time of year, as it may get lost in the mail - a horrible thing to happen. Shipping a turtle is relativly safe if it is packaged properly:

http://www.turtlehomes.org/usa/shipping.shtml

I had Fazsha, my baby Painted shipped and he arrived safe and sound. You will probably have to pay some of the shipping costs which runs around $25 - $30.

If we can find one near where you live, that would be better. Have you decided what kind of turtle you want, or are you willing to accept anything? Some turtles don\'t get as big as others, so that should be taken into consideration. I will do some searching and get back to you. (Check out the adoptions on the page up above that is attached to this.)
l8or g8or

I forgot to mention: While waiting til we find a turtle for you, it will give you plenty of time to get your tank set up and ready to go. That way you could possibly send pictures of his/her new home to the owner to assure them of the proper setup.
MRPinLubbock
Level 1
Level 1

ok thats great thanks for the help keep me updated...i live in Lubbock, texas
cheetah
Level 2
Level 2

Sorry I don\'t have any pics, but I just wanted to say congrats on deciding to get Res turtle(s). I just inherited one from a friend and was pretty much dumb on the whole turtle thing but with the help of people here I\'ve learned tons. It\'s actually quite fun having a turtle and trying to somehow improve the environment for them. To me all the \"hard work\" that comes with owning one seems small when you see that the turtle is happy. Good Luck
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

I have read the replies to you and I didnt see anywhere mentioned that you also need a UVB light on top of the basking light you already have. This light is necessary for the turtles shell to grow probably and healthy. Since you are having your turtles indoors you need to imitate the outside light as much as you can between a basking light and UVB its the closest you can get. I am so happy that you are adopting as well! Good Luck with everything! I hope you enjoy your turtles as much as I have my enjoyed my baby Marty (my RES)!
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Listen, I\'m sorry. I just heard all these stories of bad ownership and I don\'t want it to happen agian you know? You sound like you have taken the time to get info and the things you need. Good luck with your future pet!
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

Yo,wassup igor,missed everyone lots.started working at a reptile sanctuary and it is taking up a great deal of my time.i just started reading posts and i saw this one.I have a couple of suggestions.having many reptiles i like low budget habitats, so a filter, heater, and a basking area with a uv light and screen (not glass cuz it filters uv).I don\'t use a substrate but instead i just siphon the bottom of the tank 50% every week.I also use turtle clean in the tank (needs to be applied every 7 days) and it decomposes fecies and stickes it in a corner.Basking spots are a major issue (ask any vererian turtle keeper here) so i basiclly put some rocks in a bucket and stick the light over top.heat should be inbetween 72-76 degrees for RES and painted (east/west).well thats er.I get alot of emails so i thought that i would let every1 know that my new email address is
[email protected]
thanks.
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

what are you going to do with your geckos.i understand you are an adult (which has nothing to do with anything cuz i am 14 and know more than most here (know offence)).If you can\'t take care of geckos than these chelonians are not right for you,a young land chelonian is probably a better option.I wouldn\'t recomend keeping them at school cuz they get stressed out easily.
I hope you treat your geckos properly,because they deserve respect too.
  • Information