how do you apply betedine?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

I just got betedine for my turtles shell rot!
(yyyaaaayyy!) I think you have to dilute it first. Do you? If so how much water?
joe allen
Level 2
Level 2

First, clean and rinse the shell to remove any dirt and particles trap in the scutes and so forth. Brush and scrub the shell gently (toothbrush recommended) and remove any scutes that will easily come off. Clean infected areas with solution of choice. Allow to once again dry. The more the turtle remains dry, the more the shell rot and fungus will die off. During the period that the turtle remains dry (and I recommend doing treatment at night and allowing the turtle to dry and remain warm over night), apply drops of the solution or shell ointment to infected areas and allow those to set in. Some recommend the drying period being of about 18 hours each day. While it may seem too extreme, it really does help in getting the job done correctly. Afterwards, return turtle to clean fresh water (can be aquarium, but water needs to be extremely clean) so that it can swim, drink, eat, etc. After about 30 minutes to an hour, soak turtle in solution of choice once more for another hour, and then allow to dry again. The cycle continues. Remember, don\'t make solutions too strong. Any antiseptic will cause minor eye irritation.
Improvements don\'t occur overnight and may take several weeks till you start to see full recoveries, however, you will notice slight improvements within a week or two after doing treatment.
Hope tjis helps keep me informed and don\'t hessitate if tou have more questions
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you joe allen.
The scutes were gone when I got Keiko, and there was just an infected area. It\'s under control now and doesn\'t look like it\'s done any severe damage. :) Finally! There have been so many problems and now I\'m down to one!
joe allen
Level 2
Level 2

No problem if you have anymore problems then you can contact me by e-mail and i can answer your questions the same day that i get them. I answer them daily. And would be happy to help you.
l8or g8or

Betadine isn\'t really the best choice when treating shell rot. Read this article:

http://forum.kingsnake.com/turtle/messages/14963.html

I noticed a BIG difference when I switched to Novalsan, after using Betadine for about a week.

Your turtle can be kept out of water for a very long time. Allow him/her to soak for about 1/2 hour, 3 times a day - at this time you can feed him.

I know novalsan is better but it is not available in Canada. There are some sites that sell it for $10 but I don\'t have a credit card and the prices are in american.
A vet visit is way to expensive and it seems to be doing ok for the time being.
l8or g8or

I is easy for me to get here.... I am in the U.S. and have a credit card! Would it be possible for me to mail you some? You can email me privately if you\'d like.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

Thats ok...I\'m not even sure if it is shell rot anymore because she never had white scutes. It\'s either they came off before I got her or they were never there and it\'s something else...I\'m baffled
  • Information