Got 2 Questions, Any help?

Discussions about turtles.
Dragoon27
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone,
This is a two parter. 1) My turtle for about a month and half has started to peel. Not his shell but his skin. I can see wavy pieces of skin clinging on to him, that eventually peel off. Is this normal? He doesn\'t seem to have any growths or cuts on him. 2) I would like to put some other life forms in the tank with the turtle, but I fear that he will try to eat them. Are there any other types of animals (frogs, newts, fish, etc...) that will be accepted by an RES?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Pickles and I thank you.
l8or g8or

The peeling part is normal. Disgusting looking but normal just the same. I personally wouldn\'t want to put anything that I liked in with my RES, as she would eat it. If you do decide to, don\'t get attached to it and name it!
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

Yeah, the peeling is normal as long as it is translucent and your turtle\'s skin doesn\'t look pink after the peeling.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I have tropical fish in my tank. Every once in a while one disappears. I think you can put what ever you want in the tank but remember it might be gone. Make sure not to leave your turtle hungry. I would buy anything that can move fast. Most of my fish stay alive because the turtle can\'t catch em. He does like to chase em.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Like everyone said, peeling skin is normal, but if it is peeling excessively, for months on end, it may be a sign of poor water quality or even nutritional problems.

As for other animals in the tank. You can try large snails. I forget which kind, but I know some of them get to the size of a tennis ball and eat the algae in your tank as well.

As for fish... most fish will be eaten by the turtle. However, I have noticed no matter many feeder fish I put in, my turtles will mow them down in a day or two and leave about a dozen. I put in 50 feeder fish two months ago and there is still a dozen left. I don\'t expect them to last forever, but they have been around for 2 months. So you can buy some feeder fish and keep replenishing them.

Cheers,
JJ :)
  • Information