Water Level?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
cheetah
Level 2
Level 2

Is there a certain water level that the a RES must have. I believe it is a RES but the previous owner said it was a Red Tail turtle, are they the same? I don\'t want to add too much water but yet I thought turtles liked to swim. A little confussed here!
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I have a paint and he has about ten inches of water to swim in. Most people will tell you that they must have to be at least deep enought water so they can walk and have there head above the water. i like to have enough water tso they can swim around.

I don\'t think it matters how deep the water is as long as it is very easy for the turtle to get out of the water completely in the basking area.

I am curious to see what others will say
cheetah
Level 2
Level 2

okay this might be stupid of me but how do you make a basking area....what exactly is it?
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Rocks, wood or soething the turtle can crawl up on, to be completely out of the water. A heating lamp shining on it with temperature to be about 85 degrees on surface where turtle is.
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

I agree with BradleyChris. I have an RES in a 30 gallon tank and I have almost filled to the top with water so he can get his excerise and swim around. I have a big basking area for him so he can get out and get completly dry when basking. Hope that helps thats just what my set-up is like!
Fred
Level 1
Level 1

I have two small RES\'s in a 29 gal. tank. The water is about 15 inches deep. I used aquarium silicone to glue a plexiglass basking area for them. I also used plexiglass for the ramp and I put beads of silicone across the ramp so they could get traction. It works great and they love it. As for the water level as long as they can get out it has not had an adverse affect on my turts to have it that deep. I\'m sure they get in deep water in the wild.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I also used a plexi glass ramp in one of my first tanks. I found that using aquarium silicon like Fred did on the ramp works well. I also sprinkled sand on top of the thin layer of silicon to give it traction and a natural look. I have right now a u-shaped piece of plexiglass on its side. One side filled with rock and the other side water. I will put a link to a pic for you on here this weekend.
cheetah
Level 2
Level 2

thanks i think the picture will really help me...my turtle doesn\'t seem to get out of the water though....i have a place for him, but he doesn\'t use it...could that be a problem later on?
lowprofiler
Level 1
Level 1

give it some time. he\'d need a little time to be comfortable around the basking area u set up for him.
greatgondi
Level 2
Level 2

Martha Stewart (i\'m not kidding) said that the water level should be right at the turtles back, but I don\'t think it will matter much. When I put more water in Frodo, my baby RES, seems to enjoy standing on his hind legs. It\'s really funny to watch!!! Just watch the water temp...
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I think \"Martha\" is crazy. I heard that same thing on a pet show on TV. \"Only put the water dee p enough so if the turtle tips upsidedown they can tip back over\". Its garbage though. All of the turtles in the wild go in water deeper than 1 inch. Once I found a baby paint out in the middle of lake winnebago 3 miles from shore. I think they should just lock Martha up and throw away the key. She really gets on my nerves. I hate her and all her shows and most of all her voice

SORRY she upsets me
cheetah
Level 2
Level 2

thanks for your opinion bradleychris...lol...
yeah i agree though....the old owner had the water to the shell but i think he likes to be able to swim a little...and guess what he likes his basking area although he doesn\'t like it when i can see him up there...lol..sneaky sneaky sneaky :-)
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Yeah same with Monet....He sits up on the basking area and if I come in the room too fast he tears fo the water.....but if I walk in slow and put my face near the glass he just stares at me Like he\'s \"King of The World\" I know he\'s thinking \"don\'t mess with me!!!\"

I still hate Martha, I should sent some hate mail.? :)
  • Information