Not Eating Veggies

Discussions about turtles.
shy's mommy

my RES refuses to eat romaine lettuce or any other veggies. we\'ve tried corn, carrots,peas. she\'ll (we think it\'s a girl) will only eat the stuff from the pet store.

shy\'s actually my husband\'s turtle but i take care of her and the other RES we have. he doesn\'t get any bigger but gee shy is very big and we\'ve had her less time. don\'t know how long she was at the pet store. what can i do to change the eating habits of both.

thanks
playdoughanddiver
Level 2
Level 2

try veggi pellets
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Maybe they don\'t like the veggies. Feed em earthworms, mealworms or guppies. My younger turt won\'t eat veggies either. I guess as they get older they my start to eat them but younger turts are more carnivious
shy's mommy

they will eat the feeder fish as well as the floating sticks. nothing else. there was some other red food that was suggested and they turned their noses up at it.

the biggest is a female i guess and is suppose to be an adult as she is about 4\" long. the other one is a male we guess who is still small.

thanks for the suggestions wil keep trying.
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

Turtles are picky like little kids. Marty
(My RES) hates veggies too. You just have to play tuff love with them. Turtles can go 2 or so weeks without food. Feed him veggies only and eventually he and she will start eating them. Thats what I had to do and it worked, its hard though. Marty would beg for food and it was hard not to cave and give him his beloved pellets. Your turtles need a balanced diets just like us. Good Luck!
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I agree with Val_smiles... be tough on them and stop spoiling them. If the female is 4\", she\'s not quite an adult yet, but she should have veggies in her diet.

Your RES WILL eat veggies. I\'ll use my McDonald\'s analogy. If a person is feed McDonald\'s all its life, and switches to veggies or oatmeal, with different tastes and textures, of course it will be rejected. But when hungry enough, it will eat - both people and animals - mo matter how much they dislike the taste.

Turtles can go months without eating. Here is what I suggest. Feed some veggies for 4-5 straight days and then pellets. Then go back to 4-5 days of veggies. Or you can go cold turkey, but I couldn\'t do that.

I feed my turts in a separate tub to keep the water clean, but I find that the flow from the filter move the veggie pieces around and my turts get curious and chase after the floating veggies.

You can also try some anacharis - an aquarium plant. RES really like those.

Cheers,
JJ :)
  • Information