sigmund the sick turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
MurdockATM
Level 1
Level 1

afraid I'll get in trouble for having the little guy. Help! Thank you.
Last edited by MurdockATM on Thu Jan 17, 2002 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Time to take your little one to a vet that specializes in reptiles. He has pneumonia. When he opens his mouth he is trying to breath. The back end floating also indicates this maybe a respatory infection. Please take him to the vet, they will perscribe the anitbotics to get him on the road to help. Let us know how he is doing.
MurdockATM
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your help. I took him to the vet yesterday and he got an antibiotic injection. Now I get to give these injections to him every other day. Eek! I just hope I do it right.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

you'll do fine. ur little one will get healthy. glad to hear it! lol Can't wait to hear more on him
MurdockATM
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, do you know if the antibiotics make turtles tired or is that the infection? He is sleeping A LOT.
ralph
Level 1
Level 1

it might be that the water temperature is too low.. well lower than 50F. in this temp. the turtle will hibernate.
MurdockATM
Level 1
Level 1

No, the water temp is between 78 and 85 degrees during the day so that's not it.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

It's alot like a person. The infection will take time to go. It's the infection that is making him doze so much. Just keep giving the injections like your vet told you to do and he will be up and swimming before u know it!
MurdockATM
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any suggestions about force feeding this turtle? Since he's been on the medicine he won't eat at all. Either it's upsetting his stomach so he doesn't want to eat or he's getting worse. I've tried to get bits of food into his mouth and then dunk him under the water but only once has it worked. Is there anything that I could give him (possibly in liquid form) that would nurish him?
  • Information