First turtle ever

Discussions about turtles.
cheetah
Level 2
Level 2

okay this is the first turtle I have ever had. He got passed down to me from a friend and I\'ve finally figured that he is a red ear slider. The problem is I\'m afraid the tank is way too cold for him. He isn\'t eating and he doesn\'t move very much when the water is cold...What kind of heater can I get because the water is only a few inches high. Should I invest in a filter system for him. I don\'t know what I\'m doing! Help Please!
playdoughanddiver
Level 2
Level 2

my setup is a 20 gal long tank 2 basking rocks a heat lamp and a filter but if your conserned about the water go 2 any pet store and get a heat lamp (very inexpesive) they can range from 15 2 20$$ and it keeps the water room temp i dont suggest a regular heater it might burn ur turt.
cheetah
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you for your advice. Looks like that\'s what i\'m doing later today.
cheetah
Level 2
Level 2

okay now my turtle isn\'t eating? I\'m kinda getting worried but I think it could be because of the change of the environment. I\'ve been trying to feed him the regular turtle food from the pet store which is what the previous owned feed him. Is there something else he might eat?
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I feed my paint anything from chicken soup to tacos from taco bell. No just kidding. Small guppys, mealworms, and earthworms are his favorite. In between those I feed him low protein turtle food. I put repical on the mealworms once a week to get vitamins. Your turtle may not eat for a few days because of the environment change. Also get the heater and make sure the water temp is around 78 degrees. If the water is too cold he will be less active and eat less. Visitherm makes a good inexpensive heater that is completely submersible.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/
go here and do a search for \"visitherm heaters\"
cheetah
Level 2
Level 2

Yeah when i realized that turtles can eat fruit and stuff like that i tried giving him bolony and he liked it (yuck) also i went and bought some good protein shrimp which he really like too....i also bought a heater for him the kind that stick to the side of the tank and it seems to be working. thanks for all the advice, this has really helped me along. Now i feel like i kinda know what i\'m doing :-)
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

The only thing never talked about in your questions was lighting. Lighting is very important for your turt. Must have the correct UVB and UVA lighting to duplicate the sun(or as close as we can).
  • Information