Artificially Lowering Temperature

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
xwingfox

I have to cause a box turtle to hibernate for my biology class. I have looked for hiberntion information over the past 2 days and I know that I have to lower the temperature gradually to about 65F, give or take. However, I am in California and the lowest temperature in the winter is about 80F, maybe 75F. I can\'t get the temperature low enough for hibernation by natural means. I was wondering if there was a device sold in pet stores that lowers the temperature of an aquarium. i\'ve searched through many pet catalogs, at least 50, and haven\'t found anything. I don\'t know exactly how a thermostat works. i\'ve never had an aquatic pet. If it matters, and it probably does, the aquarium will be a 10 or 20 gallon tank. I\'m not sure which. I\'m not sure what sub species of box turtle I will care for, but probably a North American type. I think I know enough from reading articles, reports, forums, and journals of how to cause hibernation and to car for a box turtle, but any firsthand experience and tips will be appreciated.

*Note:Due to circumstances, I will only be able to see the turtle twice a day for about 10 minutes at a time. If anything liek this exists, I would like to know if it is also automated.

*Note:This turtle will not be a pet, so I\'m not willing to spend TOO much on it.
xwingfox

Never mind my other post. I found out that a thermostat can be a cooling unit as well as a heating unit. However, I need to know what models are cooling/heating units and which ones are programmable. Can anyone tell me, preferably form firsthand expierence? Any links to websites or articles will also be appreciated.
  • Information