diamondback terrapin won\'t eat!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
jimbo

My dad recently saved a diamondback terrapin from a chinese market and we took it into our care. We placed it in a large plastic aquarium with enough water to swim around in. The basking area is a large rock with a 60w light bulb to supply light/warmth. The basking area ranges 75-80F. The water is around 70-75F depending on the room temperature sometimes. The water is being filted by a Fluval 2. The shell is hard and healthy and parts have shedded off. The eyes are clear and there are no signs of open or infected wounds. We\'ve had her for almost 2 months and it hasn\'t eaten and I\'m really afraid it\'s going to die. It is still defecating. For a while the feces were a translucent whitish clump and sometimes they were dark green. We\'ve tried feeding it the following: ReptoMin, Turtle Gammarus Pellets, steamed shrimp, steamed scallops, and today I tried some feeder goldfish. She hasn\'t eaten any of it! What do I do?

PLEASE HELP! THANKS!
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

Do you also supply a UVB light for your turtle so to maintain a healthy appetite?

Turtles needs exposure to UVB light (but of course regular sunlight is the best) because it imitates sunlight and this helps them maintain appetite.

One suggestion would be for you to let your turtle bask in sunlight in the daytime for several days to see if your turtle will regain appetite. If your turtle does regain appetite after several days of exposure to sunlight, then I think it would be a good idea to get a UVB light for your turtle\'s tank.

Or, maybe you can bring your turtle to the vet to find out what is wrong?

I hope my suggestions helps you. Good luck with your turtle. I think it was wonderful that you saved your turtle from the market.
jimbo

My turtle\'s eating! After a long bask under the 60w, UVA-only light bulb it went to the water and actually tried to chomp at one of the fishies, alas the fish was too fast for her. BUT, I brought home pieces of raw salmon and placed them under the water and she went up to them.. smelled them.. and started attacking it like a true terrapin! But, is salmon a healthy fish meat to be feeding it? I noticed that the fish meat made the water real oily, will the Fluval 2 take care of that? Thanks!
  • Information