My turtle keeps yawning

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Crescendra
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, my RES turtle keeps yawning. He was placed in a beef cosomme/v8 vegetable juice with a calcium dissolved in it as he has been prescribed by the vet for his Vit A def. I thought initially that it has to do with the mixture being quite deep and he is gasping. But when i took him out after the treatment, he has not stopped the gasping. Anyone knows the reason for it? Or maybe he finds the mix icky and he was remonstrating?
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

Is your turtle gasping when he/she is in the liquid? If so, then your turtle might have a respiratory infection. Maybe you should inquire with the vet about this?
Crescendra
Level 1
Level 1

well, he dips his head in occasionally and only when his head is out of the liquid or even the normal water in his tank does he gasp... i read that i should increase the temperature of his tank in order to activate his immune system and so far it has helped, he does not gasp as frequently as the night before.. i reckon if this does not stop by tomorrow, he\'s making another trip to the vet...
playdoughanddiver
Level 2
Level 2

my 2 baby RES do the same but mine hold open there mouth for a while is this normal?
Crescendra
Level 1
Level 1

playdoughanddiver wrote:
my 2 baby RES do the same but mine hold open there mouth for a while is this normal?
I should think there should be a problem if the gasping is frequent.. cos my RES never had that kinda behaviour, only recently did he start doing that.. my RES does the same as yours...holding it there for a moment or two :(
  • Information