Put Up Your Dukes?

Discussions about turtles.
orion27
Level 1
Level 1

I just introduced my 2 res to their new home 33gl. I noticed 2 days later that they were putting their front legs infront of their heads and then they would swim at each other. WHY? They have never done this before. Thanks in advance for your answers.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds like a mating dance to me? Anyone else have an opinion?
orion27
Level 1
Level 1

Hey blejnbaby, my 2 res are only 6 months old and I was told that they are too young too be mating. I thought that maybe they were fighting, but not sure, I'm new too the turtle scene.
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

My two three year old females have done that almost since day one. At first I thought I had a male and female because I thought this was a mating thing. But as they got bigger it turned out that they are both females. I added a two year old male in to the tank a month or so and have only seen them do this breifly once with him, and that took a while before they warmed up to him. I am not sure if it is mating or just 'shaking hands'. If it is mating then my two female turtles need to be taught the birds and the bees.

It seems to be something that is done between turtles that get along well.
TheCaddy
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same problem. I thought that it might be a dominance thing. My bigger RES usually does it to the smaller one.
Seddy311
Level 1
Level 1

My turtle does the same thing... except he does it to his own reflection.... It is really strange. I have read that it is a mating thing. He trembles both front legs and opens his mouth!!!
  • Information