Urgent...Please help...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

My turtles in trouble. I mentioned before that she had a problem with her shell, then i posted about it being better...and i thought it was until today when i noticed bits of rotten flesh sticking out of the hole, water flowing out as she breated. This is horrible and i\'m doing all i can to get a hold of novalsn or betedine...but it\'s not sold in canada, nor is there a turtle vet within 20 miles at least...what can i do for now while i search? Please help, i could never forgive myself if she dies.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

I will give you a link for home treatment of shell rot, but you do need Betadine. It should be sold at any pharmacy, walmart, etc.
http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/shellrot.html

Good luck. Is the turtle dry right now? Keep her dry and warm.

I think I might have to take him to a vet.
There isn\'t any white parts and it looks to be deep. Otherwise he\'s healty, active and bright-eyed except for a little swelling I talked about before...(which seems to go away in water) Shes in a warm, dry container with lots of light and I\'ll see what I can do. For now i\'m using a bandaid to keep out germs. I\'ll try to take a picture but I\'m not sure if it will show up because it\'s so tiny. Thank you.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

geocities won\'t let me post pics here:(
deesygirl

You must get the betadine. Pharmacies have it, as it is one of the most common skin disinfectants for human use. Heck even call your Drs office. They may have a small bottle that you can get. As an emergency back up you can use chlorhexidine, this is sold under the brand name of Hibiclens.
  • Information