help breaking heat light

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
surfzilla

hi all my red earred slider keeps breaking her light when she splashes she is very animated when hungry (she is well fed) but her splashing shatters the bulb i think we have it set up wrong please send any and all suggestions
thank
helene and mrs. chester
( aka SMASH )
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I never had that problem, but I guess it can happen. You know what you should do is get a higher wattage bulb and keep it further awar from the basking area.

Maybe you can have a bigger basking area, so that when the turtle dove off, the turtle won\'t be under the basking light. Thus less splashing.

How do uo clean up all the glass pieces? Does it shatter? That\'s dangerous for your turtle! Good luck.

Cheers,
JJ :)
surfzilla

thanks for the advice i think we will get a floor lamp stand and a higher watt bulb and put it higher out of the way she actually doesn\'t break it when diving off the basking area she literally splashes the water at the surface of the tank with her front feet she knows when we feed her and this is her own personal trick that we unfortunately reinforced it is really quite comical to see yes the light does shatter and yes it is dangerous that is why we have to drain her entire 70 gal tank and make sure it is completely free of any and all hazardous material lots of work along with lots of cursing when it happens lol but she is a keeper and worth all the headaches

thanks again
surfzilla
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Make sure to check the temperature before the turtles are back in. If the water is breaking that lamp, it might just be too close to the basking area, and I am guess the basking area may be too warm. Might get turtle soup.
  • Information