Painted Turtle\'s Gender

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
Claudia

I just got a painted turtle, named Jellybean, from a friend who moved. He does not know if Jellybean is a boy or girl. His ventral side is completely flat. Could someone tell me how to figure out a painted turtle\'s gender.

Thanks,Claudia
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

How old is your painted turtle? For many turtles, the females are bigger in size than the males. The males have a thicker and longer tail and longer claws when they get older. Often the first sign of sex is the difference in size and the thickness of tails.

Cheers,
JJ:)
Honu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I just want to say, I\'m in the same problem. I just call my turtle \"him\".
Honu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I just want to say, I\'m in the same problem. I just call my turtle \"him\".
Claudia

The turtle is eight years old. I just measured his/her shell. From shell closest to head measured to shell of tail is nine inches. Across measures 6 1/2 inches.

Thanks for any input,
Claudia
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

You\'re measuring CL (carapace length) right? Well CL is actually the length of the upper shell without the curve. But by the sounds of it you have a big turtle and it\'s probably - A SHE!

Cheers,
JJ:)
BellaTortuga
Level 1
Level 1

I don\'t have a lot of turtle experience, but I did a lot of research recently to sex my own new purchase.
With a lot of species the plastron of males curves in and females are flat, so that also points to Jellybean being a she, since you said yours was flat.
  • Information