Breeding

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
Krysta
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, I have one female red-eared slider, three male red-eareds, one male eastern painted, and two female eastern painteds. I have the two species separated, and I want to eventually house them together. Would it be all right to expect breeding to still occur, or would the two species cause stress? With some animals, breeding ceases when they are around other kinds of animals and I wondered if it\'s the same with turtles. I would appreciate if you could inform me, or if you could direct me to another good reference. Thanks.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I think the two species may interbreed. It\'s a strong chance, since they are similar turtles.

I would not put all those turtles together unless you have a great HUGE pond. When I mean huge, Imean something you can wade in and enough room for all those turts. 500 gallons or more.

I find when you house a lot of turtles together, they\'ll need a lot of personal space. I will assure you, your female RES will be harassed 3 males to 1 female RES. That\'s cruel... if you know what I mean. I male is enough to drive one feamle turtle insane, but three on one! Ahhhh! Have a heart. Even with the painteds in there, the numbers are still not good... too many males.

Anyway, if you decide to do this, just be careful and make sure you have a big enough pond.

Cheers,
JJ:)
Krysta
Level 1
Level 1

Wu-Gwei wrote:

I will assure you, your female RES will be harassed 3 males to 1 female RES. That\'s cruel... if you know what I mean. I male is enough to drive one feamle turtle insane, but three on one! Ahhhh! Have a heart. Even with the painteds in there, the numbers are still not good... too many males.

Cheers,
JJ:)
Thanks for the advice. One guy is enough for ME, and sometimes too much! I get what you\'re saying though. Should I just upgrade the individual set-ups that I have right now, and keep them seperate? Thanks.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I think it would al depend on yout turtles personalities... I mean I have seen more males vs females housed together and do fine. I have seen all males housed together and do fine. It\'s depends on the turts\' personality and what works out.

But having 5 turtle togtehr, you\'ll be needing an awfully big pond. How big are they right now? How big are their tanks?

I realise it\'s a pain having so many set-ups, but they need the space. You don\'t want to cramp them. I would start looking into solutions - like your future for the next five - 10 years. I mean if you want to house them together, you\'ll need a pond or at least some big stock tanks.

I\'m not trying to scare you, but trying to save you some money. I don\'t want you to buy 150 gallon tank and a few years later realise it\'s too small. :)

Cheers,
JJ;)
Krysta
Level 1
Level 1

At the moment, I\'m keeping them in tubs, kind of like kiddy pools. They have the same set up as a regular tank (gravel, basking area, filter, etc.) They are all about 3inches right now, exept for one of the female painteds. She\'s about 6 or 7inches. All the painteds are together (3 turtles), but there are only two sliders in each pool (two pools for sliders). I think I will just house them seperately the way I have been doing, but I will find a bigger pool for each set-up. Thanks for the advice. It\'s been a great help!
  • Information