we just got turttles for my class

Discussions about turtles.

we just got turttles for my animals science class and they are baby turttles and we have food for them but they really dont eat it. we dont know what to feed them really. does anyone know
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

First, let me ask what kind of set-up are you keeping them in, and how long have you had them. Their can be lots of reasons they aren\'t eating, but two come to my mind very quickly...
1) Are they warm enough? Is their a submersible heater in their tank, as well as a heated basking area? If they aren\'t warm enough, they WON\'T eat.

2) If you haven\'t had them but a couple of days, don\'t stress. Usually the stress of being handled and moved will make them reluctant to eat until they\'ve had adequate time to settle down.

Make sure they have warm water, appropriate food, a UV light, and a heat bulb for basking. Also keep the water clean and clear. Continue to offer them food. They should come around soon. If not, get them to a vet to make sure they aren\'t ill.

Good luck :)
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Let me add a bit about food:

If they are tiny babies, offer them small peices of Reptomin or other quality turtle foods. You can also offer them tiny guppies and pin-head crickets. Live foods tend to stimulate the appetites of finicky eaters. On occassion you can give them small amounts of boiled unsalted chicken.
Though they may not like it, offer them veggies too: romaine lettuce, carrots, squash, cooked sweet potatoes. Sometimes even the babies will take these veggies. My babies are avid carrot munchers. :)
Another thing to give them for a treat, is freeze dried shrimp.

Good luck with the babies :)
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

They need about a week to get adjusted to their new home....so it\'ll take a little while for them to start eating....and remember to have the student WASH THEIR hands after hanling.
Willie
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Hey, is this turtle your science teacher\'s turtle? I mean is s/he the one that bought it? I hope it will have a good home. I am afraid it becomes like a typical class pet - after the novelty wears off, nobody wants to take care of it.

Cheers,
JJ:)
  • Information