Turtle died, please help!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
dolfin

I had a baby RES. I thought he was doing fine, but came home this morning and found him floating dead in the water. I have been looking everywhere for information in regards to what may have happened to him. The only thing strange that I noticed was that he was gasping for air last night. How long does this usually go on before they are in really bad shape?? Because he was gasping for air and in less than 8 hours, dead??? I did notice that he has been basking more than usual, hardly ever gets in the water. But I have not noticed any side ways swimming or anything like that. Any ides would greatly be appreciated, I am very sad that I lost my little baby!!
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Gasping for air is a sign of respiratory infection. It had the infection before you bought him - probably b/c it was too cold. It wasn\'t your fault. You just bought a sick turtle. In addition, hatchlings have a higer derath rate, especially if they were not well taken care of. I would take the turtle back and speak to the manager. They sold you a sick animal.

Cheers,
JJ :)
  • Information