Two questions...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Superchick

First of all, I noticed these little worms swimming around my tank about a week ago, and then I thoroughly cleaned my tank and let it sit dry for a few days... when I put new water in, the worms were still in!!! I went to the local pet store, but they had no clue what to tell me other than to put spring water in and put my bricks in the oven to kill off anything that might be living in there. I read someone else\'s post about it, but I was wondering if they had any luck in keeping these things away. So, meanwhile my RES is camping out in a giant plastic box for now... While he was in his plastic box, I noticed that in a couple places, his shell is flaking off a little. Is this normal? it\'s not a big piece and it doesn\'t seem to be doing it anymore.
One last thing... this might be a weird question, but how do I know if my turtle is happy? It seems like he is constantly trying to get out of his tank (and now his plastic box). Does that mean he is unhappy, or do all turtles live their lives trying to be free in the wild?
Thanks for the help!
Frotato\'s Owner
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

The worms may be insect larvae and I think that they are mostly harmless (of course assuming they are non-parasitic). I had some whiet worms before also and I used diluted vinegar (1:1) or you can use diluted bleach (don\'t know the ratio, but I\'d make it more diolute that the vinegar). Anyway, Iused the vinegar and scrubbed it out. Then I washed it out and let it dry outside in the sun.

As for you second question... I find if your enclosure is too small, the turtles will always try to climb out. I have various tanks of different sizes and when they\'re in the 100 gallon, they seem as happy as can be - playing, frolicking, swimming, feeding and basking. You can tell when they\'re happy. Whenever I have to take them out and put it in a smaller tank, they sit there and vege out sometimes. By looking at the turtles, you can tell their mood.

Cheers,
JJ :)
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

I\'ve never seen any worms in my tank but a few years ago my turtles had to be treated for worms. So they could be insect larvae. But to be on the safe side, you should take a stool sample into the vets. I always use diluted amonia to clean the tanks cause it evaporates and turles are more tolerable to it. My vet told me that. And Wu-Gwei is so right about turtle moods! They are just like children! They get spoiled to something and if changed they get all upset and mad. They even pout, get their feelings hurt, play games, and pretend to be dumb. They\'re pretty clever those turtles are!!
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I have a baby paint less than 3 inches, he is in a 20 long for now. He\'s constantly in and out of the water swimming and playing, but he does spend most of the day swimming agaist the glass in the tank, back and forth, up and down. He has always done this no matter what size his environment is. Even outside his tank. When he goes in his feeding tank, he eats then tries to get out. I think he\'s happy though.
  • Information