Pregnant Turtle??

Discussions about turtles.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering who has had experience with turtles being pregnant and if there was anything that was really noticeably different about them?? Is there any way to tell besides taking them to get an x-ray??
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

I\'ve had lots of exsperience with my turtle being pregnant, good and bad. A couple things she does every time is ONE, she starts raceing around the tank alot everyday. Getting in and out of the sand and water and looking into good hideing places. I noticed this last time how she seemed to be alot heavier than she usually is. Also, that wheight seemed to be making her ability to get around a little more akward, slower to swim. Digging with her hind legs is a sure sign of looking to lay eggs.
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

Oh yea, if any of those things I just mentioned start happening, When she has zero interest in eating any food , she\'s ready!!
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Yeah, she has started to swim back and forth through the tank, but very slowly...everything seems to have slowed right down. She sleeps in the dark part of her tank most of the day and doesn\'t even want to come out when I\'m feeding the two of them....she definately isn\'t eating as much as she used to. As for digging in the tank, well, she always did that....so I don\'t know.
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

Does she have a place to lay eggs? She needs an area big enough to be able to dig a 6 inch deep hole. It should be at least 1 square foot around and 7-8 inches deep. I have 150gal tank set up so that a quarter of it is partition with glass and filled with sand. If she can\'t find a suitable place to lay eggs she could retain them, and that could, not always, be unhealthy for her. Sometimes they will just start laying eggs here and there in the water. Then they have a tasty snack. My concern is her appitite. Is she eating at all?
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Oh yeah, she is still eating, just not as much. She used to eat alot and now it\'s not as much..maybe half. Yeah, she hsa a place to lay them in sand, she\'s been hanging out alot in there lately, digging, but no eggs.
  • Information