help? fish for tank? RES snacks & algea

Discussions about turtles.
elphyne

i was thinking of putting some fish in with my RES, some for eating, and maybe one or two pleco\'s or other algea eaters, and was wondering a few things.

first of all, i got my turtle E.T. like 6-10 or more years ago, my folks have been taking care of him most of that time while i\'ve been going to school and having a family. Now that my daughter is old enough to go to school i have time to actually take care of E.t. and am trying to get him a better habitat and diet.

during all that time he was never fed fish before, and i wondered if giving him some now after all these years be ok? and if so, what kind of fish? i think somewhere here i read that guppies were better because they\'re taken better care of at pet stores then the feeder goldfish? is that right?

i was also thinking of putting in some sort of algae eater, what are the best kind to get for that? i think the most i heard about is the plecs, but i thought i read somewhere that they can grow kinda big, and i don\'t want the fish taking up all my turtle\'s space :p

and i know, no matter what kind of fish i put it, chances are it\'ll end up turtle food if E.T. gets a hold of it, but in case he doesn\'t decide to eat them all at once out of sheer joy of having live food, is there anything special you need to do to treat the water? some web sites about keeping fish talk about water ph and possibly needing to adjust the balance and stuff, but mention that the \"ph down\" is an acid so it can burn fishes if too much is put into the tank - so i\'d imagine it could harm the turtle as well, so what do most of you do if you keep fish in the tank? or do you not even bother with checking water ph, and just keep buying fishes til you find ones hardy enough to adapt to whatever your water is like?

the other question would be, do you put the fish directly in with the turtle as soon as you get them or put them in a seperate tank to \"quarrentine\" them for awhile to make sure they\'re not sick? and if you do quarrentine would you need a filter for the other tank? could a sick fish make your turtle sick too?

thanks

Elphyne
obeh
Level 1
Level 1

elphyne wrote:
i think somewhere here i read that guppies were better because they\'re taken better care of at pet stores then the feeder goldfish? is that right?
I use feeder goldfish and I see my RES grows quicker than normal. I think it\'s more efficient to use it. From it size feeder goldfish was bigger than guppies so 1 goldfish was equals with 2 or 3 guppy. I feed them goldfish twice a day 2 or 3 goldfish each. This menu have been accelerated with the tank temperature, to prevent dying b\'coz too full.
i was also thinking of putting in some sort of algae eater, what are the best kind to get for that? i think the most i heard about is the plecs, but i thought i read somewhere that they can grow kinda big, and i don\'t want the fish taking up all my turtle\'s space :p
the growth of aeverything is took time. it\'s right that they can grow bigger, but don\'t you think that your turtle will do the same (they grow too!)
or do you not even bother with checking water ph, and just keep buying fishes til you find ones hardy enough to adapt to whatever your water is like?
yes, i don\'t even bother about the water pH. I have feederfish, and other fishes in my tank. I use my intuition. to prevent extreem changes on water pH, I used to change my water just half or 3/4 of total tank water.
could a sick fish make your turtle sick too?
thanks

Elphyne
don\'t know, but sometimes i give them fish thta die in the night at the morning. it\'s my answer erlevant to your question? :) don\'t know. but I\'m just trying to help. :))
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

elphyne wrote:
i was thinking of putting some fish in with my RES, some for eating, and maybe one or two pleco\'s or other algea eaters, and was wondering a few things.

during all that time he was never fed fish before, and i wondered if giving him some now after all these years be ok? and if so, what kind of fish? i think somewhere here i read that guppies were better because they\'re taken better care of at pet stores then the feeder goldfish? is that right?
Elphyne

Goldfish have been found to contain compounds which can be detrimental to your turtles health. I feed mine guppies, rosies and minnows. In the summer when it is warm, I catch a large supply of minnows from a very clean pond nearby, and they love the natural fish that they would eat in the wild. Bait stores will carry minnows. :)
  • Information