My first turtle (a res) and she wont eat. i\'ve had her for

Discussions about turtles.
Erica
Level 1
Level 1

I just got a turtle 3 days ago. I\'m guessing she\'s still a baby since she\'s very small. I got her from some people who weren\'t even keeping her in enough water to fully submerge. I have the problem that she hasnt eaten for me yet. I have dried river shrimp and those turtle pellets.. does anyone know anything that might help me get her to eat? if so please help!
Thanks alot!
Erica.
(p.s if anyone has any good names i\'d love to hear suggestions the other family was just calling her franklin)
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

She\'s probably still getting used to her new enviroment, but here are a couple suggestions anyways.

1) is she warm enough? If they aren\'t warm, they won\'t eat. I leave my water at 78 degrees, warmer if the turtle is sick. Also, make sure she has a warm basking area. The temp for the basking area should be 85 degrees give or take a degree.

2) Try live foods - small guppies, pieces of earthworms, tiny crickets. The live foods seem to stimulate the appetite.

As far as the naming. My next turtle I plan to name Jinx. I don\'t know why, I just think it\'s cute. My turtles names are : Helmet, Laney, Sydney, Fisher, Nicky, Frisbee, Chubby, Speedy, Tank and Taz. Other turtles I have had were named : Clover, Puck, Wyland, Cricket, Waterboy, Izadore, Beanie, TJ Hooker (named so because she had a fish hook in her mouth) Gumbo, Smudge, Diablo, Freddie......and so on. :)

Good Luck.
juan
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem with my RES when I brought him from his 2 year stay in an outside pond. A 20 gal with 3-4 real plants 4 small feeders (gold fish) and a bottom feeder. He is about 2 1/4\" and I didn\'t feed him after I brought him in. I went out and bought him a buddy, a 7-8 month old RES (illegal). The big one started eating the plants at first then a couple of the gold fish, then I started with the pellets and that\'s what they have gotten in the past month. I also give them the gold fish flakes which are more of a quick snack than a substantial meal. I haven\'t tried chicken or bannans yet as some people have.

My point is, if they are hungry they will eat what you give them rather than starve to death, they are smarter than that.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Patience and many new turtle keepers are anxious. It will take some time for the turts to get used to their new home and you. Like Juan said, it will eat when it is hungry enough. I have not heard of a turtle starve itself to death... not any animal for that matter. Hunger is a strong drive.

Just wait a few days more and make sure its set-up is correct (what Tutrlecrazed suggested).

Cheers,
JJ:)
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

Yeah, don\'t worry, she\'ll be eating soon. And then she\'ll start acting like she\'s starving to death everytime she sees you! Be sure to keep her on a regular balanced diet and don\'t overfeed her cause she\'ll grow to fast. It\'s not healthy for them to grow fast. A favorite food for my turtles is cooked chicken. I always rinse it and squish it so it\'s spices and fat are minimal. Mr.Turd, Tur2, India, and Bump are my turtles names. Patty-cake is good.

Erica wrote:
I just got a turtle 3 days ago. I\'m guessing she\'s still a baby since she\'s very small. I got her from some people who weren\'t even keeping her in enough water to fully submerge. I have the problem that she hasnt eaten for me yet. I have dried river shrimp and those turtle pellets.. does anyone know anything that might help me get her to eat? if so please help!
Thanks alot!
Erica.
(p.s if anyone has any good names i\'d love to hear suggestions the other family was just calling her franklin)

it is new to its surroundings and needs time give it anothere few days and it will start eating again
maxfocker

I agree with what most people are saying. By now your turtle is eating. I have 6 red ear sliders and one that is osme sort of painted turtle. I feed the guppies, blood worms and pellets. When I put the first couple turtles in my tank they would not eat, I tried everything, then I went to a pet store and bought some live blood worms, they should sell them in portions that cost about $2 each. If your turtle does not eat them then try the guppies. Put alot of guppies in the tank, depending on the size I woud suggest trying 100, should cost about 6 or 7 dollars. The good thing about all the guppies is that they will reproduce if the turtle does not eat them.
mjorgen
Level 1
Level 1

try blood worms i had the same problem with my hatchling. i was feeding it pellets and it wouldn\'t eat them then i tried the blood worms after talking to a friend in aquatics. sure enough my res ate them
Last edited by mjorgen on Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information