a screwed up shell!!!!!!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

I just recently got a job at PetCo. After working there about a week one of the other employees brought in a adult Res in and wanted the store to sell him. I took one look at him and said no because his shell was extremly screwed up.I have reread all of the post on this site that have to do with shell rot and everything else about messed up shells but one of them resemble what this turtles shell looks like.His shell has these metallic patches on it in small groups all over. It\'s most noticeable in light.I figured that it was just from the previous owner not having a basking area but does anyone else have a clue/idea of what this could be and how to help my new turtle?Any comment is welcome!!!
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

As soon as you said shiny patches I thought, that\'s exactely what my male slider shell looks like right before he starts loseing scutes. They, too, are more noticable under the basking light. I don\'t know why only his shell does it because all 4 of my sliders are loved equally. I always just thought it was a dude thing!
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

I have seen wild turtles with this metallic sheen, which my assumption would be due to chemicals in the water or other impurities.
It didn\'t seem detrimental to their health, just a little odd looking.
  • Information