help? \"waterfall\" power filter

Discussions about turtles.
elphyne

was just wondering if anyone\'s managed to get the waterfall type filters that hang from the top of the tanks to work? I bought one and i can\'t seem to get the water to flow, the water\'s at least 7\" below the top of the tank because i put in a basking platform, which i\'m sure doesnt help. i was wondering if maybe it was just the brand, its a \"top fin power filter\", and it uses hard plastic pieces for the tube that fit together to make it longer, and the first part of the connection is out of the water, so its probably getting a lot of air into, but even when i have water going an inch or more above that spot the suction seems really weak, are most waterfall type filters like this? is it possible to get them working even when the waterline is well below the recommended lvl (which is usually like 1/2\"-1\" below the rim i think)? any suggestions of what brand would actually work for my setup? i only have like $40 to spend total provided i can get money back or a exchange for the top fin model (lost the receipt, so not sure if they\'ll take it back *sigh*)

and also, what kind of plastic plants would you recommend? all the plastic plants at the pet stores here are in those hard plastic with cardboard backing containers so its hard to test them to see if they come apart easily or not, thanks

Elphyne
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Okay, I had this exact same problem. I\"m sorry to tell you that there is nothing you can do to make this filter work UNLESS you raise you water level. We finally did...there\'s usually a black piece at the top of the tube that comes down...well, you have to get the water close to there and then it will work. Find a way to build your basking area higher(i used sheet rock).....or you can go and buy an underwater filter which are really good too. If you need anymore help, just let me know...I\'ve had TONS of problems with this filter, but i have it figured out now.
l8or g8or

MishFish is right. I built a beautiful waterfall in Joe\'s tank but because the water level had to be so high the filter wouldn\'t work. I raised the water some but the filter had to struggle and I knew before long it would break. So.... the waterfall came out.
elphyne

actually,got some suggestions on other turtle forums, and they suggested getting Aquaclear, so ran out today and thankfully the petstore let me exchange the other pump even without a receipt and picked up one of the aquaclear\'s - works like a charm! even with the water lvl 7 1/2\" below the top of the tank! :D

Elphyne
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

In my opinion, aqua clears are THE best hang-on-the tank waterfall type filters. That\'s what I use, and I love them. I have no problems with them.
Fofusu
Level 1
Level 1

I\'m thinking about purchasing one of these aqua-clear filters (maybe the 300 or 500). I see that there are about 4 or 5 different filter pads (carbon, foam, ammonia-remover) for these filters. How is this filter setup? Do you put more than one or two filters? The Aqua 500 is $34 at petsmart.com - not too shabby.
  • Information