Free Turtles?

Discussions about turtles.
countingrobins

Hi,

I have a seriouse question. My boyfriend has two small turtles. I am really not sure what kind they are. They don't have any significant markings, and well, they just look like little turtles. The problem is, they were a gift, and my boyfriend is really not sure what to do with them. He has had them for about a year, and takes care of them, but they just never seem happy and they are always jumping out of their enclosure. We want to take them out the the lake when the weather gets warmer and set them free. The poblem is, will they be okay? I know nothing about turtles, and they have been in an enclosure all their lives. You can even hand feed them. I don't want to let them go if they will not be able to feed themselves and live happy lives. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

first of all see if you can find another adopted parent for the cuties. that way they will still be cared for and at least your mind will be free of worry.
setting them free, well, they are turtles and they know what to do when they are out in the wild. but i would try for the other adoptive parent first. let us know how it goes.

i have heard that if you set your domestic turtles free in the wild, you are dramatically lowering their chance of survival. i have read that on several other webpages, but do not know if that is true. i would suggest that you either find them a new home, or donate them to a pet store. i do not know what the best idea would be however. good luck!

Chris
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

I agree with Chris, any captive animal will have a dramatic lower chance of survival once introduce to the wild for the first time. As I was growing up, I've freed bird(never made it even across the street!)I've freed lizard(found it dead in my backyard a week later!). Find a new home for them, please!!!

Billy
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

When I went away to college I had to give up my two three year old turtles and put them in the wild in a small pond. They survived. But if I ever have to give up my turtles that I have now I would find someone else to take them. Tank and all so that they don't have to get use to a new home.

Donate your turtles to a University educational display! [email protected] University of Arizona
Thanks
All species considered
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

First things first. You will need to identify your turtle. Is it a RES: Red Eared Slider (green with red ears)? Anyway, look on this site or other sites for pictures.

You should not release a pet b/c it may disrupt the ecosystem in two ways:

1.) The pet turtle may have a disease which the native species have not been exposed to.

2.) The pet turtle may crowd and take over the habitat of the native species (i.e. RES have invaded many areas of the world b/c owners who released it).

Of course, like others mentioned if you released it, it might not have that good of a chance to survive.

Where do you live? Various parts of the US have different rescues. If not in the US, there are rescues in Canada as well. There are turtle & tortoise societies everywhere. Here are some big ones: CA, Chicago, NY, and Turtle Homes. There\'s also a girl on this forum that operates a small rescue in NC (her user ID is Turtlecrazed). For additional rescues, go to Kingsnake.com and click on \"Forums\" and then click \"Adoptions\". You\'ll find lots of organizations.

Please don\'t release your turtle. Maybe someone on this board can take it? Where do you live?

Cheers,
JJ
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

DON\'T RELEASE THEM!!!
If you need to rehome them, please email me. I can take them in a find them a suitable home. My email is :
[email protected]
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I believe that it is illegal to release any captive bred animal into the wild, just like I\'m pretty sure its illegal to take these turtles out of their natural environment. Not that that is enforced at all. It messes with the whole ecosystem so to speek. Imagine how many people release their pets, and then there becomes an overpopulation of these turtles that don\'t even belong in that area. Not to mention the disease and chance of survival that Wu-Gwei mentioned.

My husband anbd I adopted 2 beautiful RES from Turtlecrazed over the weekend- They are joining our male Res that we have had for 9 years-
The rescue located in North Carolina is a safe and great benefit for unwanted Turtles in the surrounding area - please consider this or another rescue as an option to take your turtles to- We are enjoying our new additions to our family- and i am sure someone else would enjoy and take care of your turtles also.

Take care!

*** Our new family of 3 RES
Puck, Isadore and Cecil ***
  • Information