Red Eared Sliders

Do you have questions about the basics of turtle care?
upn_runnin

We have had our turtles, two of them from the size of a quarter now to over 4 inches long. I have never had a problem with oder from the aquarium until lately and it has become unbearable. It seems that no matter how many 20% water changes I do I cant seem to manage the odor of the water or the clearness. I am afraid that if I don\'t seek help that my turtles will become ill if I dont do something quickly. Please email me or reply to this post. Tim Harris: [email protected] and put turtle in subject line.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Do you use a filter, and if so what kind? This can help A LOT. Also, do you feed them in the tank? Feeding them in a seperate tub or tank can help immensely.
upn_runnin

Turtlecrazed, Yes I use one of those whisper filters, I just got done cleaning the entire tank, rocks, etc. I think I found the major portion of the problem. I had brought back some sea shells from the Alantic ocean and I mean to tell you; once I washed everything the shells were still putting out this awful oder so I didn\'t put them back in. That idea about feeding them in a tub. That\'s a super idea thanks. What your take on the shells? I just found this website today out of shear panic. I really like the site and will be around learning forever.
jokertu7
Level 1
Level 1

turtlecrazed wrote:
Do you use a filter, and if so what kind? This can help A LOT. Also, do you feed them in the tank? Feeding them in a seperate tub or tank can help immensely.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I think your filter is not strong enough. I do bi-weekly water changes (30-50%) and every so often 6 weeks, I would do a 90% water change. I have several tanks of various sizes and different number of turts. None of them smell or are dirty. I suspect your filter is not strong enough for your tank. It might be time to upgrade. How big is your tank and how much does your filter\'s filtering rate?

Cheers,
JJ :)

P.S. Chaning water every second day is not fun and unnecessary. I\'d looke on line (www.bigalsonline.com or www.drsfostersmith.com). They often have good prices.
  • Information