SAD NEWS :(

Discussions about turtles.
rapterble
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I have a little girl with a broken heart. The \"rehabbed box turtle\" that was attacked by a dog, that my 8-year-old daughter was going to get from the pet store was reclaimed by it\'s previous owner. They did have another one when we were there, but it is now sold. I have checked all the other pet stores in town and none are available. Of course she cried and said she wanted only THAT ONE TURTLE. But, she\'ll be fine. I am now looking for other options because the pets stores say that Indiana has passed a law and turtles are not suppose to be sold in Indiana now??? I\'m also considering one of the small tortoises, possibly the Russian tortoise, but need to learn more about them. The drawback that I see so far is the cost. We really want to go with a land turtle. Any suggestions? Thank you all for your helpful replies in the past.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Yeah, I agree your daughter will be OK. I think if I were a beginner keeper, I would go for a RES (Red Eared Slider). It\'s much easier. I find box turtles and Tortoises much harder to keep than a RES or water turtle (Cooter, Painted Turtles, & Map Turtles are good to keep as well). Tortoises and Boxies have a more difficult diet and require a lot of space for them to roam around - like a pen. An aquarium is not suitable for torts and boxies.

You may adopt from one of the MANY places on the web. Try Turtle Homes in NY. They have A LOT of FREE RES sent to you home. All free, but you have to have the proper set up first.

Turtlecrazed on this forum runs a Turtle Rescue and she will ship to you as well.

Cheers,
JJ

P.S. It\'s illegal to sell turtles under 4\" for persoanl pets in the US. You may adopt one.
l8or g8or

I have to agree with Wu-Gwei - unfortunately there are too many unwanted turtles & tortoises out there waiting for a good home. Please reconsider \"buying\" one, you can use that money to pay for the shipping. Have your daughter help you with the search, when the time is right you will find the turtle that needs you. Good luck & let us know.
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

when i was younger i had pet chickens and my brothers dog killed the last one :mad:
i still harbor a dislike of most dogs
  • Information