still more questions before we decide

Discussions about turtles.
rapterble
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Turtlecrazed for your helpful responses to my last questions. I have more questions for you and/or anyone else who may be out there :) My 8-year-old daughter is saving her money for all the supplies for this box turtle that the pet store is offering her...the turtle was attacked by a dog and has been rehabed for 3 months, eating well and they say is doing fine now and ready for a new home. She just about has enough money saved, but we haven\'t given her the final ok yet. We\'re going to have to be deciding very soon. Here are my questions: 1. Do turtles bite? Is that a legitimate concern? She is very good with animals, I know it would not be mistreated, however, I also don\'t want to worry about her being bitten. 2. Do I need to be concerned about her handling the turtle with the diseases they say turtles carry, or the worms? 3. I know she will want to let the turtle out and crawl around on the floor, is this a problem? Or can this spread disease to people, other animals, or to the turtle? 4. Where can you find the kind of container your care sheet says to buy? Should it be a clear container to see through? 5. The pet store said that box turtles enjoy crawling around in play-sand in their container. Is this what we should use? 6. What should I look for in this turtle to be sure that it is an injury and not just a sick turtle?
Thank you again for your help. I\'ll keep you posted on what we decide.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

1) all turtles CAN bite. Boxies, however tend to be a very passive species and are not prone to biting.
2) Always encourage your daughter to wash her hands after handling the turtle or the turtles things. Prevention is the best key.
3) Letting the turtle crawl around is probably not the best idea. I do it, but if the turtles urinate or deficate on the floor, I clean it up emmediately and thouroghly.
4)You can get these containers at walmart or any home improvement store. I\'d get one that is not clear, as that seems to cause the turtle stress.
5) I\'d stay away from sand. It can cause impactions. I\'d use clean soil and a mulch-like subtrate. This will also help keep proper humidity.
6) Before bringing the turtle home, check it\'s eyes and make sure they are clear, not puffy or swollen. Check the shell and make sure there are no abrasions or infections. Check the shell to make sure it is not soft. Look for any signs of fungus, this will appear as a cottony growth.

GOod luck.
rapterble
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you again for your help :) I am concerned though about the shell. The turtle was mangled by a dog and they said the shell is growing back, but around the edges in two places, it\'s not all there. Also, there\'s spots on the top that don\'t look just right. I don\'t remember the shell being soft. I can go back and look at the turtle again. I just want to be sure what to look for because we\'re not looking at a nice normal shell anyway. Again, thanks for your help, anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I agree with Turtlecrazed... but on question #4, I would like to add that in the summer, I would make an outdoor pen for your box turtle. They like to roam around. More space is better.

Are you paying for the turtle? I know online prices are usually cheaper than the pet store. I don\'t want your daughter to waste her hard earned money - lol.

AS for the shell, look carefully at the cracks and see if there\'s any infection or growth (fungal or other). Smell it. If it smells foul, then it may be rotting. I think examining the turtle carefully is important. Take your time and ask the store to feed it.

Cheers,
JJ :)
rapterble
Level 1
Level 1

The pet store is giving her the turtle free since it was a rescue turtle, if she can provide all the proper things to house and care for it. That\'s what she\'s been saving her money for. My concern is that the turtle not be sickly and break her heart. I guess that\'s why all the questions about what to look for, etc. I have been reading all the posts and it looks like turtles can have quite alot of medical problems. The people at the pet store seem honest, but i also notice that the advice seems to vary quite alot from one pet store to another. I\'m wondering if it would be better to get one that is healthy, but her heart goes out to this one. The healthy box turtles sell for $40.00 here. I also noticed that this one seems flighty like it doesn\'t enjoy being handled. Where the others she handled didn\'t seem as jumpy, etc. But, that\'s understandable considering it survived being mangled by a dog :( I\'m headed out today to see if we can find a large rubbermaid container. But wondered, we don\'t use a lid on it do we? I\'m still wondering also if the box turtle is the best \"land\" turtle for a child to keep as a pet??? Thanks for your replys, i\'ll keep you posted.
jokertu7
Level 1
Level 1

rapterble wrote:
Thank you Turtlecrazed for your helpful responses to my last questions. I have more questions for you and/or anyone else who may be out there :) My 8-year-old daughter is saving her money for all the supplies for this box turtle that the pet store is offering her...the turtle was attacked by a dog and has been rehabed for 3 months, eating well and they say is doing fine now and ready for a new home. She just about has enough money saved, but we haven\'t given her the final ok yet. We\'re going to have to be deciding very soon. Here are my questions: 1. Do turtles bite? Is that a legitimate concern? She is very good with animals, I know it would not be mistreated, however, I also don\'t want to worry about her being bitten. 2. Do I need to be concerned about her handling the turtle with the diseases they say turtles carry, or the worms? 3. I know she will want to let the turtle out and crawl around on the floor, is this a problem? Or can this spread disease to people, other animals, or to the turtle? 4. Where can you find the kind of container your care sheet says to buy? Should it be a clear container to see through? 5. The pet store said that box turtles enjoy crawling around in play-sand in their container. Is this what we should use? 6. What should I look for in this turtle to be sure that it is an injury and not just a sick turtle?
Thank you again for your help. I\'ll keep you posted on what we decide.
  • Information