Question about filters?

Discussions about turtles.
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

I\'ve been using those cheap plastic ones that go in the corner of the tank under water. That means cleaning two tanks every week. 150gal and 60gal. One quarter of the big tank is filled with sand for basking and egg laying. The other is just water with a large rock for basking. 3 turtles live in that one, and the biggest one lives in the big tank. Both are filled half way to the top with water. There is also sand, not a whole lot, on the floor of each tank. There are so many filters to choose from with all different featers, sizes, prices etc. I get fustrated and confused then settle for the old routine. Please help me decide which ones are good so I can spend more time watching than washing my turts. thanks, 2wan
deesygirl

I use a Vortex Diatom filter. My water is crystal and never, ever smells. However, I still do a partial water change every week.
l8or g8or

My vote goes for the Fluval filters. I just got my new 404 running yesterday.
minimanY2Kev
Level 1
Level 1

yea, i\'m with l8or g8or, definitely go with the Fluvals
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

i have two duetto dj100 in a 20 gal with 10 gal of water
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

deesygirl wrote:
I use a Vortex Diatom filter. My water is crystal and never, ever smells. However, I still do a partial water change every week.
Do all your turtles live in the same tank, deesygirl? And how many gallons is your tank or tanks?
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

I have heard that the Fluval filters are good. I don\'t know what a 404 is. Are they very exspensive? And what size do you think I should go with, I can\'t afford a whole lot. But then after the 3 hours I spent tonight cleaning out tanks, I\'m sure what ever it cost would be well spent.
Last edited by 2wan on Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I think canister filters are what you need. Fluval 404 is a canister filter and in my opinion is the best value. Eheims have excellent filters, but too expensive. Filstar brand isn\'t bad either. I think you should visit these two websites:
www.bigalsonline.com
www.drsfostersmith.com
I may have gotten the addresses wrong, but I checked out their prices and they have good deals and you can compare the different types of filters (canister, submersible, undergravel, etc.). It has pictures and descriptions as well. Just remember Fluval 404 - lol.

Cheers,
JJ:)
deesygirl

2wan wrote:
Do all your turtles live in the same tank, deesygirl? And how many gallons is your tank or tanks?
Yes, they all live in the same tank. I have a custom short 70 gal.
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

deesygirl wrote:
2wan wrote:
Yes, they all live in the same tank. I have a custom short 70 gal.
Where did you get your vortex diatom, on line or somewhere else?
deesygirl

I purchased mine at the local pet store. I have seen them at pet smart, so I imagine that you could buy one online through them.
  • Information